Replacement for Rubicon rear locker?

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Replacement for Rubicon rear locker?

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Anyone have thoughts on replacing the rear locker on a rubicon? I blew up my locker last weekend and after reading about ways people have blown up the rubicons I have no interest in getting a used rubi to replace it. My big concern is that 1) I just replaced the rear ring gear and 2) its a thick ring gear so Im not sure if I can use just any locker.

I would like to get an ARB but the fact I will need a 100-200 dollar compressor on top of the ~800 dollar locker doesn't thrill me. Id say it will likely be either an OX or Detroit (for cost reasons).... This is a trail rig that sees the highway to and from the trail head but not much more and doesn't need to go out much in the winter aside from a snow run. An Aussie or lockrite are out as Id need to buy a carrier as well as the locker which isnt worth it...
Also how do I figure out the shim situation will the rubi locker be the same width as the replacement or is that going to vary??? :? so many darn questions.... :shock:

already have after market shafts so I dont want to change spline count fwiw...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Replacement for Rubicon rear locker?

Unread post by ChrisD »

Jeff,

First I have to correct you.... ARB vs OX cost wise is a wash.. Remember with the OX you still have to purchase a cable and shifter. Then you have to mount all that crap. A Detroit locker, aside from a Aussie would be the lease expensive route. You stated that you have aftermarket shafts, what is the spline count?

Regarding the carrier, from what I have read, the carrier is the same size between the Rubi and non-Rubi and that the ring gear is thicker.
dizilbdog
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by dizilbdog »

May want to talk to Lou he might be able to give you good suggestions. Though he may say an Ox locker too.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

The shims for the carrier will be setup based on the carrier and ring gear... If you replace the carrier you'll need to come up with a new shim pack for the carrier and possibly the pinion to make sure the pattern is right (assumes you don't put in a new R&P).

I have ARBs and they've been great. I did rip an air line once, but that is repairable in the field, and not a major expense if you want to get some spares. There are a few air supply options on ARBs....

1) Use an ARB compressor
2) Build your own OBA, based on some kind of air compressor
3) Use a supply from a portable tank of some type (e.g. PowerTank, CO2 bottle, etc...) to supply the ARB(s) with pressurized gas

Most people opt for #1 or #2... The #3 option may not be as expensive as the first 2 and is pretty simple to do, though you do have to make sure you have a tank with enough gas and you want to be sure there aren't any / minimal leaks.

Another benefit of any of these options is you can air up tires from these sources if you size them properly (ARB compressor gets the job done but will be slow with a big tire).

I can't say anything bad about OX or Detroit either... all are good options, depending on your budget.

JW
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Jeff: I would look into a spool. No gears to blow up,locked 100% so no quirks when driving on the road. Well as much as an automatic anyway. Really inexpensive. No OBA or tanks if you dont want them. Kan you say ChEEEEp ! FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Spool. No levers, no gears, no clutch, no cables, no air lines.

No weird doo dee around corners except on the street at 3psi (plus my tires are 15.5" wide). Handles better than my old Lockright by a long shot.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Hoodoo Man

I thought spools were as bad as a lunchbox? chirping etc as they are always fully locked????
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by del_TJ »

Have you thought of a Detroit Trutrac? It would be a cheaper, low maintenance option for the rear if you don't want to spend money on an ARB or Ox. It won't be a true locker since you can still spin a tire in the air but it should be adequate if you already have a front locker. I think a Detroit automatic locker is going to act weird on such a short wheelbase and the clunking can get annoying. Just putting my 2 cents in.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Voodoo Chile wrote:I thought spools were as bad as a lunchbox? chirping etc as they are always fully locked????
As told by the kids on Jeepforum who don't run one. Mine chirps around corners and is invisible on the highway. Prior to that, I could change lanes with my lockright by getting on and off the gas. :lol:

del_TJ wrote:Have you thought of a Detroit Trutrac?
Not a bad option for a weekend warrior on class 6's but you may as well have an open diff when in the boulders.

Remember, we're talking to a guy who makes full throttle runs at ice covered hills and snaps pinions.

Someone give this guy a Cowbell. 8-)
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

Jeff - If you want to get back up and running, you could always use my D44 carrier. Just mount your ring gear (that is if you can use the same ring gear on a std carrier), adjust shims and you should be good to go. That is if you have stock splines or you could also use my stock shafts.
norstar
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by norstar »

I think Rubi ring gear bolts are bigger. He might have to drill out the bolt holes on your carrier assuming he can use your carrier with his thick gear.
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

TJ D44's are hit and miss on the bolt size. My understanding is the Rubi uses larger bolts and early non Rubi's used the smaller ones. When Scott and I did a Detroit instal on his non Rubi, it turned out his diff used the larger bolts. A few minutes with a good bit and the drill press took care of the problem.

Full time automatic lockers tend to be more quirky in short wheelbase rigs with manual transmissions. Not as bad with automatics.

Spools are butt simple and work great off road. The only time you'll probably be hating it is parking lots and intersections. Every time springs crap out in my Powertrax No-Slip, I toy with the idea of tossing a mini spool in my rig.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
midniteryder
Jeep Model: KK Liberty

Unread post by midniteryder »

johnsxj wrote:TJ D44's are hit and miss on the bolt size. My understanding is the Rubi uses larger bolts and early non Rubi's used the smaller ones. When Scott and I did a Detroit instal on his non Rubi, it turned out his diff used the larger bolts. A few minutes with a good bit and the drill press took care of the problem.

Full time automatic lockers tend to be more quirky in short wheelbase rigs with manual transmissions. Not as bad with automatics.

Spools are butt simple and work great off road. The only time you'll probably be hating it is parking lots and intersections. Every time springs crap out in my Powertrax No-Slip, I toy with the idea of tossing a mini spool in my rig.
X2 John! So happy i took my mini-spool out last fall! Parking was rediculous! :roll:
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

Another common swap is to use a Rubicon Front locker in the rear axle. Since the front doesn't have the limited slip taking up space, the spiders and side gears are larger and thicker. Another good thing about using it is it is pop and swap because it uses the same air pump, the axle is already plumbed the for it, etc.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
Hoodoo Man

Modeler wrote:Another common swap is to use a Rubicon Front locker in the rear axle. Since the front doesn't have the limited slip taking up space, the spiders and side gears are larger and thicker. Another good thing about using it is it is pop and swap because it uses the same air pump, the axle is already plumbed the for it, etc.
:P Hi Dave, I saw your post about that on JeepForum form a while back when your locker blew up last year... Where did you find your used rubi locker?

thanks
jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock