Lift for JK 4 door rubicon

Dan+kids
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Lift for JK 4 door rubicon

Unread post by Dan+kids »

I seem to be spinning trying to choose a lift kit for my 08 JK 4 door rubicon. I want to be able to join the club and tag along on the routes without being the one stuck all the time. But, I also want to be able to drive the kids around town (soccer dad stuff). And I need to be able to bring other parents(soccer moms) along to beach, skiing, other kid activities. Last issue, the jeep needs to keep a stable ride as I occasionally tow an 18' boat.

Elias 4wd center recommended TF 2.5" BB or the TF 3". I asked a lot of questions but didn't let him know what I was really doing with the jeep. My limited research says the TF 3" is closer to 4". I would like to keep the stock tires until they wear down some. Plan to add a body armor step so wife and kids can get in. but 4" more will look stupid with stock wheels and wife will not like climbing up at all.

To tag along on the rides, what's your recommendation - 2.5" BB, 2.5" coil ,or 3", do I need 35" day one?
Dan & Rio
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Lift for JK 4 door rubicon

Unread post by del_TJ »

Dan - Maybe others will chime in, but why don't you start by adding the rocker step first. That'll give you an idea of what getting in and out will be like if you lift it 2, 3, or 4 inches. You can also come as a passenger for a trail ride or two to get a feel for the New England trails the club typically does. You're welcome to hop in my TJ whenever I go.

I believe the Teraflex springs tended to sag in the past, but I don't know if they're better now. BDS springs tend to retain the desired lift height. All of them will sit taller at first until they are broken in some.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Im pretty sure with a two to three inch lift it will fit 35s ? You dont need much lift with those JKs. The words Rubicon mean something other than a bigger price tag. It has the best components any Jeep has come with. You will do just fine on the trails. If I had to pick one sore spot it would be what everyone calls (THE SHOVEL) The skid. Ive heard it got its name digging into everything. Try it the way it is, you will see what you need first and the list will grow from there ! Mine did. FjR68
midniteryder
Jeep Model: KK Liberty

Unread post by midniteryder »

Once you get some seat time on the upcoming trail runs and with all the excellent tech folk we have here you can then decide best mods for your rig. Carol & I both ran bone stock rigs for a while until we got more trail riding experience and then built them up to what they are now which have 4" lifts, 1" body lifts, front locked and 33" mickey mtz's. Good luck.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

If Angie had a new 4 door, I'd install a 2" BB and go with it. I would even keep the 32" BFG's.

You do not need 35's right off the bat. This is a mild club and we offer some really nice trails that suit just about all levels. 32's - 33's are just about perfect.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

My '08 JK did fantastic with 33's and a 2.5" Teraflex lift. No issues whatsoever and I could keep up with most of the runs. When I eventually upgraded to 35's I had to add a 1" body lift. The only problem I had was the front tires rubbed (actually they were getting ripped to shreds) when at full flex even with the 1" bl. For an easy fix I added 1.5" spacers to the front wheels. It gives me a slight wider track than what the JK already has which has only caused issues once last year (took a little coaxing but it made it though!) :lol: I just have to remove them when I get it inspected next month.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

I have a 2009 2-door with a 2" BB on it, and 265R-75X16 tires, which converts out to a 32" tire. They are the exact same size as the P255-75X17s that came on my wife's 2007 X unlimited. She offroads hers as well, bone stock with no problems. She has the olympic reverse-a-bars on it http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx? ... artID=5056 and I just added an evap cannister skid. Don't worry, you'll be able to keep up as your are, then decide how you want to build it after you've been out a couple of times.

Edit: by the way, I don't recommend Olympic products. Fit and finish is not great, the powder coating started chipping within a couple of months, and now the bars are a big bundle of rust.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Dan+kids
Jeep Year: 2008

Unread post by Dan+kids »

Thanks for the feedback. I looked around the web and the comments on JK lifts were all over the place. It seemed that so much depended on what the site and the people were up to. I think this club will be a pretty good match for me and your advice makes since. Thank you!

I will get the 2.5BB w/shock extenders and rock rail / step. I will ask Elias 4WD Center to do the work. This should give a little more clearance, make the jeep look better, and help my 6 year old climb into the back. Maybe by later this summer I can start getting more fun stuff. My 18 year old son will be back soon and he can help me discover what to do next.
Dan & Rio
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Don't forget the Evap canister skid. It's inexpensive insurance - IIRC the skid runs around $130, replacing the evap canister runs several hundred.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
midniteryder

ZAEDOCK wrote:If Angie had a new 4 door, I'd install a 2" BB and go with it. I would even keep the 32" BFG's.

You do not need 35's right off the bat. This is a mild club and we offer some really nice trails that suit just about all levels. 32's - 33's are just about perfect.
X2 Joe :D
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

midniteryder wrote:
ZAEDOCK wrote:If Angie had a new 4 door, I'd install a 2" BB and go with it. I would even keep the 32" BFG's.

Unless you decide to follw me....mu-whaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :lol:
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
midniteryder

ZAEDOCK wrote:
midniteryder wrote:

Unless you decide to follw me....mu-whaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :lol:

Been there, done that with and without the miss piggy hat! lol :lol: