sterring box set screw reset it????

davids4x4
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

sterring box set screw reset it????

Unread post by davids4x4 »

ok 1992 jeep xj 4.5" lift 33x12.5x15 4.0l 4dr teraflex high steerknuckle, new ball joint, 1ton tierods ends..i replace the box in 2009 rebuilt from napa and just replace the pump today. nappa unit becouse it was wineing the replacement dose the same now. i have play with the box set screw i may have mess it up.. just need info on how to put it back to were it belongs...thanks dave
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: sterring box set screw reset it????

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Oh man. Looks like you have a mission to get the box back in to spec, properly.

http://www.stangerssite.com/adjustment.html
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
davids4x4
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by davids4x4 »

lol if i have to do that i'll just pull the box out and get another napa unit life time lol.. i going to back off the set screw some.. the error i am doing is.. not keeping the nut still wile turning the set screw and holding the set screw wile locking down the nut..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

With a power box its important not to set it tight as you wont be able to feel the drag and wear out the sector shaft. You have to adjust it while the pump is running , as the tolerance changes once you start it up. The best way i found is turn the steering shaft at the box by hand and watch the play go away. Start the engine and standing outside the jeep slightly move the wheel and watch for any movement of the driver side wheel . You have to be sure you have no worn parts first , tie rod ends , ball joints etc. You should be able to get rid of any play that way. Some of the screws go in to get tighter and some go out, depending on the box and mount position. FjR68