Club Requierments

jbishop
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Club Requierments

Unread post by jbishop »

I am trying to make sure my jeep has all of the requirements before joining the club and had a question about the rear tow point.

what is everyone using? I have the bumperetts now but imagine this is not a good solution. I plan on getting a rear bumper with D-rings is this good enough? The bumper will also have a 2 inch hitch spot. I know it says the ball isn't a good attaching point but would something like this work: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx? ... CJ_ProdCat

I am just trying to get an idea so I am compliant before joining :)

Also concerning the full sized spare, Does this have to be on a swingout tire mount? I don't have a lot of money to throw into one right now so I was going to use the factory mount with a 33" tire. Does anyone see any issues with running this? (tailgate wont support the weight, rubbing issues) I plan on going Mud Terrain's at some point in the future, would there be an issue with a mud terrain spare and the rest of my tires being All terrain's?

sorry for all the questions I know it must seem like a noob thing to do.
Back off man, I'm a scientist!
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Club Requierments

Unread post by schwalby »

I am not sure where the factory recovery / shipping point is on a YJ and I didn't have any luck with a quick google search but you maybe able to find a replacement one or a used one someone has taken off when upgrading their bumper. You are correct in that the bumperettes are not an acceptable recovering point. Once you upgrade you bumper the d-rings will be fine or the receiver hitch style you linked. I use both on my TJ.

As far as the tire carrier there is no requirements as far as what BSJ requires. I use to have a 34 LTB tire on my stock carrier and didn't really have any issue. I wouldn't put my 35s on it though. I now have a swing out carrier. Keep in mind also you may have to modify or remove your third brake light to fit a 33. If you remove it you may not pass inspection.

No worry on the questions it?s what the forum and club are about.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by Kurt »

You are correct, the bumperetts cannot be used. Besides they get hung up on rocks very easily.
Been there :lol:

You'll be happy when you ditch them and put on rear bumper with D-rings and/or use a..Image
The new bumper will provide you much needed body protection and provide secure recovery points.

There is no requirement for a swing out tire carrier.

As for as spare technically all you need is a sapre that isn't one of those "Temporary Use Donut" tires.
Obviously it's best to have a spare that's the same diameter as the other tires so you can continue your trail run AND be able to drive home safely.

Putting a 33" spare on the factory carrier may require you to modify the rubber stops on the tailgate.
Also depending on your bumper you may need to raise the factory carrier up so it doesn't interfere with the bumper or receiver shackle.

I carry my 35" spare on the raised factory tire carrier 8-)
schwalby wrote:.... Keep in mind also you may have to modify or remove your third brake light to fit a 33. If you remove it you may not pass inspection.....
No third brake light on a 90 YJ 8-)
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
DDewar53

Unread post by DDewar53 »

schwalby wrote:I am not sure where the factory recovery / shipping point is on a YJ and I didn't have any luck with a quick google search but you maybe able to find a replacement one or a used one someone has taken off when upgrading their bumper. You are correct in that the bumperettes are not an acceptable recovering point. Once you upgrade you bumper the d-rings will be fine or the receiver hitch style you linked. I use both on my TJ.

As far as the tire carrier there is no requirements as far as what BSJ requires. I use to have a 34 LTB tire on my stock carrier and didn't really have any issue. I wouldn't put my 35s on it though. I now have a swing out carrier. Keep in mind also you may have to modify or remove your third brake light to fit a 33. If you remove it you may not pass inspection.

No worry on the questions it?s what the forum and club are about.
There is no rear factory recovery point. Many of us just push the loop of the tow strap into the 2" receiver then capture it with the pin. You can also get one of those 2" inserts with the shackle on it, they're fairly inexpensive. Also, if you're getting an aftermarket bumper with shackle points that will be compliant as well.

Like Josh said, the spare tire requirement has nothing to do with how you mount it. You don't even have to have the same size spare as what's on the ground. The only requirement is that it's now one of those temporary donuts, but a real tire on a real rim. I wheeled with Baystate for years on 33's with a factory 27" spare. That meets the requirements.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
jbishop

Unread post by jbishop »

Great thanks for the info :)

I will get a bumper then minus the tire carrier, and modify my spare tire to accept a 33".

Any issues putting a 10.5" on a factory 15 x 7 rim? if so does anyone have a rim / tire for sale?
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by del_TJ »

jbishop wrote:I will get a bumper then minus the tire carrier, and modify my spare tire to accept a 33".
IMO - I think you'll eventually tweak your tailgate with a 33" tire unless you put some of the weight on the bumper or frame. You can put a bracket on the bumper so the tire just rests on it and takes some weight off the hinges. I think you can buy the bracket in the photo but I can't remember where.

What kind of scientist are you? I'm one too :D
sparetire.jpg
jbishop

Unread post by jbishop »

Thats pretty trick little setup and wouldn't be hard to fab. I'm not really a scientist that's just a quote from Ghostbusters :) I'm a disaster recovery engineer for a Hedge fund technology integrator.
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by del_TJ »

jbishop wrote: I'm not really a scientist that's just a quote from Ghostbusters :)
Gotcha. I joined last September and they're a good bunch of guys and gals in the club. You don't absolutely need everything on the requirements list to get started, but a full-sized spare and recovery points are necessary. Hope to see you out on one of the Baystate outings.
jbishop

Unread post by jbishop »

del_TJ wrote:
jbishop wrote: I'm not really a scientist that's just a quote from Ghostbusters :)
Gotcha. I joined last September and they're a good bunch of guys and gals in the club. You don't absolutely need everything on the requirements list to get started, but a full-sized spare and recovery points are necessary. Hope to see you out on one of the Baystate outings.
no question I will be there.

I will have the spare soon and worst case scenario I will bet a bumper and tire carrier by spring.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

You could do what this guy did which would cost about $20 plus drill bits.
Not the best way as the strap might tag the bottom of the frame, but it's safe if you put a piece of cut hose on your bumperette to avoid chaffing.

Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

ZAEDOCK wrote:You could do what this guy did which would cost about $20 plus drill bits.
Not the best way as the strap might tag the bottom of the frame, but it's safe if you put a piece of cut hose on your bumperette to avoid chaffing.
if you decide to go that way I have a couple of those hooks. Yours if you want em.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
jbishop

Unread post by jbishop »

That is a good idea.

I will see how soon I can get a bumper and if that is a while I will do something like that.
zenophryk
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by zenophryk »

I have some 31x10.5 tires on rims that make good spares if you need one.
jbishop

Unread post by jbishop »

Thanks but I have already sourced a spare.

I still need a CB and would like a winch.
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

jbishop wrote:Thanks but I have already sourced a spare.

I still need a CB and would like a winch.
I have a YJ winch plate available. :P
Includes wounting plates and solenoid box support bracket as shown.
Fits Warn and most other winch brands.
For YJ applications. (Will not fit a TJ)

$50

"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020