Let's Talk Lifts . . .

Tswhit15
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2015
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Let's Talk Lifts . . .

Unread post by Tswhit15 »

Have a quick question... Is it completely wrong if I was looking to do just a small body lift, like 2"? If I were to add slightly larger tires and went with a bl and spacers to avoid rubbing is that acceptable? I didn't really want to get into replacing CAs, TB, exhaust, ect...
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Its generally not recommended to do more than an inch body lift. A spacer lift would work fine. What size tires are you looking at running? My JKU has roughly 33s and no lift and only rubs slightly....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

What do you have for a vehicle? On a TJ 1" body lift is common. With that you'd be able to run 31's without issue, likely on the stock wheels as well. A budget boost, spacers on the coil springs, will also get the jeep in the air a bit. 2" suspension lift is usually okay to run without issue, but every jeep is different.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Grumpfish
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Grumpfish »

I've always felt that body lifts were a "looks only" type of deal and paid no real dividends. I think the best way to achieve the tire size you want and gain some functionality would be a budget boost. Most spacer lifts are simply a leveling kit to get the rake out and pick up the back a bit. They're simple to install and allow you to run a bigger tire. Usually whichever brand you are researching will tell you the biggest tire you can run with each different kit. Wheel spacers won't be needed unless you go over 2" of height or unless you just want a more aggressive stance.
He who seeks darkness where there is light, seeks evil.
Tswhit15

I have a willys with 32s right now, I would like something slightly bigger (isn't that always the case?) was hoping I could squeeze 34s on if I could get an inch or 2 with spacers. It has rubi shocks so I wasn't planning on upgrading that anytime soon if I didn't have to. As far as looks and functionality I'm happy with it as it is, so I'd only be adding space to add tire, if need be.

Voodoo - is there a difference between a spacer lift and a body lift? Sorry, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, I'm still learning haha.

Thx
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Dude :( Body lifts have a function , it isolates the body from the chassis . You dont want to ruin a Willis with a body lift. It can create other issues like shifting , the speedo cable, steering shaft. If you dont want to replace the leaves , you could just do an add a leaf. It more a permanent fix for what you want to do. The spring rate is a little higher with a spring lift so there is more control over the bigger tires . My opinion only. FjR68
Grumpfish

Sorry Frank. I think my point came off wrong. I meant functionality in the sense of wheeling. I don't think a body lift is the best idea for an offroad application. It allows you more tire clearance and so forth, but no ground clearance, which is what you ultimately need offroad. Albeit a small difference overall, I think you could kill two birds with one stone with a BB. It will give the clearance and gain a little height.
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

Frank I believe Grump is also referring to the Willy's edition JK not an actual Willys.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Lets hit the reset button. He doesn't have an old willy, its a new JK with a Willys trim level.

The 32's you have on that trim are an aggressive tire and will be good for the stock>moderate trails we do. I'm running all terrain 31's on my TJ and they do quite well most of the time. As far as needing to upgrade to 34's, you'll gain only an inch of clearance under the jeep at the frame/skids/rockers. If I recall correctly, a body lift isn't as common on the JK's. If you were to put in a Coil Spacer kit, you could gain a couple inches of additional clearance at the above named components and that will increase the capability.

I'm with Grumpfish, Budget Boost.
Teraflex 2.5": https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7 ... f416e72d7d
Rough Country 2.5": http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspen ... 634-7.html
Grumpfish

And also, looking at the original post/question, Tswhit never mentioned his intended purpose. He may get away with a BL if it's a DD and he just wants a little height. If he's using it for trails, he's probably a little better off with a BB for articulation.
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

I vote go with a big long arm and 40s!!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Grumpfish

I second it. I love spending other people's money!
Tswhit15

Totally my bad, wasn't even thinking! Yes I have a jk willys edition, sorry haha. Yes daily driver for me, not doing any rock climbing but I'd like to hit some trails this spring with her.

so a coil spacer is better than a body lift?
Grumpfish

IMO, if you're planning any offroad at all, I'd go with a coil spacer in the very least.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Coil spacers will give you performance, body lift only gives you tire size. If you wait until after the Jeep 101 course we have this spring, we can educate in person.