OBA

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: OBA

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Thanks guys! I'll take a ride to HF and look at that oiler, sounds like a good excuse to me :lol:

I mocked up my manifold and hooked it up. Progress = more questions

I noticed that the Home Depot water separator I bought, has a rating of 150 PSI (which is plenty) but a max of 125 degrees, and that sounds wicked low. I didn't install it yet, it's back in its package (with the receipt), just in case. What do youse guys use for a water separator?

Went to start my wiring and the wires to the compressor are all bound in a loom and tape.... except for like the last 1/2 inch, before the connector. And lol the insulation rotted in that 1/2 inch! :lol: Gotta coat the wires with liquid tape, after I clean them up. It's impossible to get electrical tape on there, it's so cramped. Once that's done, I'll get back to wiring

And one more question. Or two. I checked the impedance on the clutch coil and it's approx 4 ohms, and from what I can tell, that's good. There was no way I'm applying power, not with exposed wires thisclosetoeachother. Has anyone checked the impedance, and does that sound reasonable? 4 to 4.5 ohms. And I checked the service manual and it LOOKS like the black wire is ground and the green is +, but I'd rather get a second opinion before I apply 12V and blow it up
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Carl,

I believe you really need a coalescing filter and not the water filter you have.
The water filter only help to remove water and not the oil in the air. A coalescing filter will remove the oil.

Your 4 to 4.5 ohms is correct. I just check the AC clutch on my TJ and got the same readings.
Nothings going to blow up. :lol:
At 4 ohms it'll draw about 3 amps of current.

You Tracks article motivated me to start my TJ OBA today. ;)
Just finished tearing out the condensor, excess lines, etc. Just finished ordering the coalescing filter and a few other goodies. Also pick up the mist oiler from HF today.
I found a coalescing filter on Amazon for $48 SMC AFM30-02 Mist Separator, Removes Oil Mist, Polycarbonate Bowl with Bowl Guard, Manual Drain, 0.3 Micron, 16 scfm, 1/4.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

thanks Kurt! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ordered that magic filter and with any luck, I'll have this done before Saturday's run :eusa-pray:

If not then NBD, but I realllllyyyy want it done before we ship out to RC
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
mark2215
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by mark2215 »

I just installed a york pump this weekend and definitely need a coalescing filter. The amount of oil that blows out of this pump is unbelievable. It's amazing how fast this thing pumps!!
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

OBA

Unread post by ChrisD »

Mark - how did you mount the York?
mark2215

I bit the bullet and bought the gold plated mounting kit from kilby. I have to admit the mounting kit did make installation very easy and the bracket is definitely strong.
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

mark2215 wrote:I just installed a york pump this weekend and definitely need a coalescing filter. The amount of oil that blows out of this pump is unbelievable. It's amazing how fast this thing pumps!!
A York compressor shouldn't be blowing out any oil. The parts inside the compressor that require oil are not exposed to the refridgerant lines, therefore no oil travels through them.The Yorks have an actual crankcase where the oil sits and is pumped through the compressor just like it is pumped through an engine. If you think about it in that respect, it would be like your car engine haveing a bad valve seal and oil coming out the exhaust. Sanden compressors, and most of the other brands, actually pump oil through the entire A/C system, which is why oil needs to be added to them on a regular basis when used for OBA applications.
Sounds like you may have a bad seal in your compressor.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
mark2215

York compressors have an oil passage from the lower end thru the front seal and up into the suction side of the pump. Even a brand new compressor will pump oil thru the system.