CO2 Air

nostaw

Re: CO2 Air

Unread post by nostaw »

Josh -

If you look around there are some discount 12v DC portable air compressors out on the market. These systems typically aren't as expensive as a Viar, but they work just as well and can easily be broken into many reusable parts (e.g. tank, fittings, etc...). I used one by Puma w/ a 1 HP DC motor as the basis for my OBA system and it has worked pretty well for me for ~5 yrs. A nice thing about these systems is they usually come with a small tank, pressure activated power relay, and fittings (mine had a safety valve, purge valve, regulator, & pressure gauge) which can all be reused. At the time I spent ~$225 (shipped to my door) for the compressor and all the included parts. It may be a little more $ now.

Decent air hose is usually available by the foot at a good hardware store. Some places even have pre-made hoses, which can be useful if you know you need to exactly X ft. Barb fittings + hose clamps are easy to come by too.

JW
Captian Carnage
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

You got alot of options The regulator I got is a 140-150psi It puts out about 130 psi With my 36 x 13.5 Iroks from 4 psi to 20 It takes Me about 5 -8 min to air up never really timed it Maybe I will this weekend LOL
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

After checking with a few people I might be able to pick up a nearly new Viair tank and compressor for a decent price. What would you estimate the rest of the system costing? Lines, fittings, pressure gauge and so on.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
SidewaysTim
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

I'm not too crazy about my Viair 450 constant duty OBA system. I also have a little red 12v compressor that I bought for $50 at Pep Boys that works just as well or better. As a matter of fact, I am planning to tie the little red compressor into my 2.5 gallon tank in addition to the Viair pump before the Spring.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

schwalby wrote:After checking with a few people I might be able to pick up a nearly new Viair tank and compressor for a decent price. What would you estimate the rest of the system costing? Lines, fittings, pressure gauge and so on.
Depends on where you buy your parts... The pressure relay switch I got from McMaster Carr was fairly expensive (~$45 - a lot compared to some other pieces), but you can get them from old air compressors too -- I probably have an extra relay in my garage you can have.

All together it could run ~$100+, depending on what you buy and where you buy it.

JW
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

Someone mentioned a tank. How bout installing a tank with your 12v compressor and let it run while you wheel. It would be full by the end of wheeling and speed up airing up. You could use the tank when you get an engine driven compressor on a 6cyl too. I can see how many tires a 2.5 gallon tank will fill with the compressor off to give you an idea how much it would help.

Andy
schwalby

I was thinking of that two, I would just be concered that the comprssor would over heat. Any way to wire a temp shut off?
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

schwalby wrote:I was thinking of that two, I would just be concered that the comprssor would over heat. Any way to wire a temp shut off?
Most Viair compressors have thermal overload built in. Also, the compressor would fill the tank in a few minutes and only cycle on if the tank reaches the low psi limit and cutout at the high limit.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

i would go with OBA if you can. I had an electric system (3 of the MV-50 compressors, ~90A draw) and an engine driven system absolutely blows it out of the water in terms of speed. I also had a 2 gallon tank, and even pre-filling the tank didn't help much. You could get a kilby bracket (this might be the right one http://kilbyenterprises.com/KE-1975.htm) and then pick up a junkyard sanden. I went that route and the sanden is fantastic. In addition, even if you go with a new engine you should be able to re-mount the sanden. it's a bit more $, but you'll be much happier in the end.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
schwalby

I would go with a bracket but there is none for the 2.4 :( I think I may look more into getting my little 12v to fill a tank or two, I have a lot of unused space in the back with the cage designed the way it is. I can also prefill my tanks at home if I wanted to before a ride.
Josh Schwalb
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

For an idea how many tires a full tank will fill with a small compressor attached I filled my tank (aprox. 3.5 gal) turned off the compressor and saw how many tires the tank would fill (33x12.5.15 from 12psi to 24psi).

Starting with the tank at 130 psi filled 1.5 tires.

Starting with the tank at 150 psi filled 2 tires.

-Andy
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

schwalby wrote:I would go with a bracket but there is none for the 2.4 :( I think I may look more into getting my little 12v to fill a tank or two, I have a lot of unused space in the back with the cage designed the way it is. I can also prefill my tanks at home if I wanted to before a ride.
Does your jeep already have A/C?

JW
stevey

Unread post by stevey »

i got a 20lb co2 tank from a welding shop for 120$ filled the just buy a regulator and i also have oba with a 5 gallon tank and i can run air tools of it
stevey president www.offcamber-4x4.com
schwalby

Thanks for the info Andy.

No I do not have A/C, it is the tiny 4 cyl. I was told of another site to check out though that should have the A/C unit for my engine. Hopefully I can find it, I just need to find out what modle years for the Neon and PT Cruiser had my engine.
Josh Schwalb