Planned Upgrades to my 2012 JKU Rubicon

MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: Planned Upgrades to my 2012 JKU Rubicon

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Rock rash is added traction. But with that said because of the offset of your stock wheels I have seen many tear a valve stem off. I agree with others steel is the way to go if playing in the rocks. A lot easier to take a BFH and pound a steel rim straight. Than buy a new alloy one because it cracked. I use my rims for traction a bit to much.
20200320_110621.jpg
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
ChrisL
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ChrisL »

Ok, point well taken! I have found cheap enough aluminum wheels that I don't mind scratching up.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy- ... is/p/49337

How about tires? This is a weekend car and I put 3000 miles on it last year.

I like those Goodyear DuraTracks
How about the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R - seems more aggressive and durable
How about the Cepek Extreme Country

I am running BFG MUDs and love the humming as I am driving down the road...

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I’ve been hearing good things about the Maxxis Razr
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Lisah311 »

I loved my duratracs but my JK was my daily and i figured it was a good compromise between AT/MT.

Not daily? Have you looked at Pitbull rockers. Made in the USA. Aggressive. Look awesome. Loud, but it’s a jeep.
2005 Rubicon
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

RandyCarol wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:14 pm I’ve been hearing good things about the Maxxis Razr
I've only ever run Maxxis Bighorns, 2 years on my first wrangler, going on 4 years. They have been nothing but amazing for a non-daily driver. Good life, great offroad traction. When I get the next set of tires, I'm also heading up in tire size and the Razr tire was what I was looking at primarily.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

God my head hurts, someone has something bad to say about every tire...

I really like the look of the GY MT/R but keep reading about balancing issues.
I read that the Razr aren't great with rock traction, but great with mud. They are also very heavy.
Seems like a lot of folks like their DuraTracs. As a beginner wheeler playing on the green and blue trails, maybe this is where I start? I did not see Carol get caught anywhere...

Chris
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I run Dick Cepeck "Crusher" Dont even know if they still make them , Gotta be 8/9 years old . I like the tire , bead locks with no weights at all. Friends have the Cepeck MTs and love them . Again , little to no weights. He knows how to make a round tire. Every one has their opinion. Look up online to JP magazine or another one. They have tire comparisons every spring and its not like you can ask them a direct question . They are pretty honest in my "opinion" FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Tires and rims, its like asking what lift to get and why, over 100 members, over 100 opinions.

I went cheap, I bought steel rims and Pro Comp AT's got 5 35s mounted and balanced on the rims delivered to my door for under 1500. Are they the best at everything heck no, do they get by and do most things well enough, yup. Get a tire you like for what you are doing are super sticky swampers awesome...heck yeah!...but the price comes with them. To me decide what your requirements are, having it available to drive will put many more miles on the tires than the trail ever will, thou the trail will wear them faster. Remember tires are changable so you can always run for a year or two on one set and if they are that bad sell them off and get something better. You might be surprised how much can be done without spending a fortune on rubber.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

It's not about scratches with aluminum or alloy rims. If they crack they are junk. Steel can be abused and fixed any number of ways. Spend it once and spend it smartly.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

Alright, my credit card caught on fire today...don't worry I am doing it for the points. :music-rockout:

Maxxis Razr in 35x12.50 R17 on Vision wheels with 4.5" of backspacing
MetalCloak undercloak skidplates - I like the plating over the powdercoating
SchrockWorks sliders - I like that they are through bolted
Teraflex steering stabilizer and high mount kit

Who knows when any of this will be delivered, but I look forward to installing it.

known unknows
1 no idea how to mount the spare
2 is all this weight going to require a larger lift?

Thanks,
Chris
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

ChrisL wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:52 pm Vision wheels with 4.5" of backspacing
Oh man... tell me you didn't get 111s... I don't need a twin out there :lol:

Sounds like a heck of a list.

For mounting the spare, I kept mine on the tailgate, and went with the Teraflex hinge/mount combo. Pretty happy with it, and it's got room to grow. The difference over the stock hinge/mount was noticeable immediately. You don't realize how much that spare bounces around until it doesn't.

Regarding the weight - bolt it all on and see. You'll probably lose less than you think.
-- Hank
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

I have the Shrockworks sliders, they are as tough as they come.
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

Hank, sorry I did buy the gunmetal gray Vision Nemesis wheels. What color do you have? How does that plastic fake beadlock hold up on the trail?

That Teraflex tire carrier looks interesting. I need a bumper as well, so I need to look at combo units as well. I had a currie bumper/tire carrier on my YJ.

Randy, yeah they look quite stout and are angled up 30 degrees which will allow my kids to use them as a step.

I completed the first mini upgrade today...
IMG_3390.jpeg
I am concerned that the 35" tires will contact the tub in the front of the rear wheel well. I have a 3 foot high ramped rock in my yard and it looks really close with the stock Rubicon tires. I did not take a photo of the suspension compressed. I have 2.5" lift springs but stock suspension arms.
IMG_3391.jpeg
Could I do a budget lift and keep my springs and shocks but add the MetalCloak Duroflex Control Arms?
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

ChrisL wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 pm
I am concerned that the 35" tires will contact the tub in the front of the rear wheel well. I have a 3 foot high ramped rock in my yard and it looks really close with the stock Rubicon tires. I did not take a photo of the suspension compressed. 2.5" lift springs but stock suspension arms.

IMG_3391.jpeg

Could I do a budget lift and keep my springs and shocks but add the MetalCloak Duroflex Control Arms?
I cut that corner back and pounded it back a bit with a hammer, gained 2-3”. Once undercoated can’t even tell
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

ChrisL wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 pm Hank, sorry I did buy the gunmetal gray Vision Nemesis wheels. What color do you have? How does that plastic fake beadlock hold up on the trail?

That Teraflex tire carrier looks interesting. I need a bumper as well, so I need to look at combo units as well. I had a currie bumper/tire carrier on my YJ.
Mine are in plain ol' machined finish. Driving the gray Jeep, didn't want to be too matchy-matchy. The rash ring does a decent job, though since upgrading to 35s I've taken vastly fewer rim hits, the deeper center of the rim keeps that a little safer too... no idea how, but i wound up with some serious gouges on the center caps of my Rubi wheels.

I went with the Teraflex mostly because my Jeep pulls DD/grocery/pin hauling duty, and having a 2 step process to open the gate just seemed like a major PITA with how often I'm in there. I've also got my Hi-Lift back there, which was a nice add. Still a super easy 1 step process to open/swing the gate.
-- Hank