Spare Belts for Trail Runs: What do I need?

MattJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Spare Belts for Trail Runs: What do I need?

Unread post by MattJ »

I read about this emergency valve stem repair kit and added it to my tire repair kit:

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

The Colby valves look like a good product.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Can you use that kit on a wheel that has TPMS sensors?
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

MattJ wrote:I read about this emergency valve stem repair kit and added it to my tire repair kit:

I have a set of the Colby valves in my tire kit as well, I'd asked for them for Christmas.

Randy, they are for temporary use if you rip off a valve stem. Since the holes for a regular or TPMS stem are the same diameter you could use them. But, the TPMS is going to be sliding around inside the tire until it gets opened up and replaced with a new one.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

They all come with lube in them. Its not enough to let them live long , but it would get you home. They put it there to hold the needle bearings in when you install them. If you dont upgrade to grease able U-Joints at this time , you would be foolish. If you find a U-joint with the fitting in one of the end caps instead of the X portion of the body , it will be slightly stronger. If your smart and replace both u-joints at the same time , make sure you put the fitting in the same spot on both ends to ease in greasing it as you only have to rotate the shaft once to get to both. FjR68
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Thanks, Frank - good advice! I also found something cool in the back of the Quadratec catalog: a listing of nearly every spare part available from Mopar and other suppliers. I think it might be a handy guide to have on the trail, so I ripped the pages out and put them in a plastic sleeve to shove in the bottom of my trail kit. And yes, it only lists a single belt for my JKU - the serpentine.

PS- I was able to find a set of spare heavy-duty balls joints for MUCH cheaper price from Quadratec.

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

RandyCarol wrote:Can you use that kit on a wheel that has TPMS sensors?
So our sensors are screwed to the stem:
J103446.jpg
If you snapped the stem off, you'd definitely have the sensor rolling around in the wheel, but the Colby's should at least get you to the tire shop. I'd suspect you'll need a new sensor after even a couple miles, but it's better than being stuck.
-- Hank
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Unread post by JeepAddict »

You could always just install stems with no sensors and have the TPMS turned off. I've been running this way for a few years with no issues or sensors to break or replace. I have replaced stems with very little effort and plugged about a half dozen tires. No ill effects on either end.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Frank wrote:They all come with lube in them. Its not enough to let them live long , but it would get you home. They put it there to hold the needle bearings in when you install them. If you dont upgrade to grease able U-Joints at this time , you would be foolish. If you find a U-joint with the fitting in one of the end caps instead of the X portion of the body , it will be slightly stronger. If your smart and replace both u-joints at the same time , make sure you put the fitting in the same spot on both ends to ease in greasing it as you only have to rotate the shaft once to get to both. FjR68
Frank, when I spoke with Tom woods driveshafts while ordering a shaft a few years ago, he mentioned that the non-greasable shafts are bout to tighter tolerances to both keep out contaminates and to keep in the grease. As such, their service interval is much greater, but you’ll have to pull the joint out to fill them with grease. If you keep up with the maintenance of greasabel joints, you’ll need to grease em every 3-4K miles. Is this true?
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

If this will be first time the ball joints get changed I would not use knurled joints, better off with smooth on first few changes atleast in my opinion.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Frank wrote: If you dont upgrade to grease able U-Joints at this time , you would be foolish.
I respectfully disagree Frank. I prefer solid u-joints and settled on good old Spicers with full circle clips for my YJ.
I believe they are better sealed. Besides, no one ever services u-joints the way they should and a hollow trunnion is weaker, IMO.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

I also have heard that a sealed bearing needs less service. I have a hard time believing they would build a U-Joint with tighter tolerance than another. Other than "Doorman" products. I have and will always believe "Grease is Cheap" . I have never lost a U-Joint , Ball Joint , TRE or any other. Maybe I dont wheel hard enough. Orrrr , just every time I wheel it gets washed and lubed . Go figure , When we went as a club to Canada , I believe at least 10 people used my grease gun. I have no issues greasing between a two day event . Now you know someone that services joints like they should . At the very least , every oil change. The debate shall go on for ever ! Respectfully Back at ya FjR68
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Just as an experiment, Friday afternoon, I replaced both front axle hub / bearings and axle u joints using only the tools I carry on the trail. It took Just over two hours and that was on a garage floor. I used Spicer sealed U joints and OE hubs.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

If you sat in a pile of dirt also , Id say that was good practice for doing it on a trail . That knowledge will be priceless . FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

And in the rain... in the middle of Rock Creek... :lol:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020