You can talk about anything here
schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Jeni's New Truck

Unread post by schwalby »

It is rated for 10,300 tow load. :)

Doug, she will probably get in touch with you to figure out what starter works best and all of that kind of stuff. I know there is a wide range in prices so want to get what she wants and will last. I have never had good luck with remote starters so it will be nice to install something you work with a lot.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
schwalby

Going to be pretty busy the next several days so here are some pics from the dealer's site. Not sure how long they will be up for though.

Last edited by schwalby on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I definitely like the color.

If it has leafs in back (appears that way to me) you may not need the weight distributing hitch, but you won't really know until you try loading it up. I've considered putting air bags into the rear of my Dodge, but I'm not putting enough weight in the back that I really need it.

I think Doug put some in his Dodge.

JW
schwalby

It does have leafs and I have been thinking about a leveling kit or airbags. I like the idea of airbags because they are cool but may be unneeded and just an extra cost. As is there will be some things I am going to have to sneak past Jen. She already said I can't mess with it that much. :(
Josh Schwalb
mightymeglet
Jeep Model: XK Commander

Unread post by mightymeglet »

The airbags saved my dad's truck. Granted my dad's truck was a work truck and he needed to carry a lot of tools and parts in the back of his truck but it helped when the springs started to go. It will be something that I will look into when I eventually get a truck....I found one I want but the engine is coming out and the frame is cracked. :/
Account no longer in use.
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

I bought my Tundra new in 2008 and I still love it. I've been towing my rig without a weight distribution hitch and I'd have to say it doesn't need it. That includes going to Moab in 2009 and Rausch a few times since. The truck can handle 10,300# and my trailer can handle 7000#. The "tow mode" actually increases throttle and brake performance and the hitching system is very well designed - wrapping itself around the entire rear frame and up behind the rear wheels. As a result I barely notice the rig back there. I've had to slam on my brakes and dodge a few bullets a few times and I never once felt like it was squirrelly. Maybe I got a very stable trailer or something, but I have no issue with sway. Also notice how I strap the Jeep down - not only do I have 2 axle straps in the front and 2 in the back, but I also criss-cross two straps attaching the rock sliders to the opposite sides of the trailer under the Jeep. This is intended to reduce body sway from the Jeep which would add to the sway in the trailer.

That being said I just had a leveling kit put in last fall to increase the height of the front end because I plow with it. The front of the Tundra is a bit low to begin with, but when you put 500 pounds of plow gear on the front it's even worse - the Minute Mount hangs pretty low and I end up with only about 4-5" of clearance. My front end is now 3" higher and the truck is level - and it's more fun to watch my parents try to get in. :dance: Problem is when I hook up the trailer I'm now going to be front-high - I used to load it until the truck was level. I'm going to see if I can simply adjust where the Jeep sits on the trailer to keep it as level as possible and then see how it pulls when we go to Rausch next month. If handling has been compromised I may invest in a WD hitch myself or do something in the rear... I've had my eye on a clever helper-spring system that only activates when additional weight is added. I'm really not sure how this is going to affect handling. The point is, your Tundra with a stock suspension will likely pull your rig just fine without the WD hitch. I'd try it and see how you feel about it. Although if you want one, there's certainly no reason not to do it - it can only be better. As for adding the leveling kit - I'll let you know how that affects handling!

Andy yes, Doug, you are correct in that the Tundra has more American parts in it than any of the big 3. And they are assembled right here in the USA!
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

The Jeep's still taller though...
jeepstilltaller.jpg
2014-19 Vice President
schwalby

Thanks for the info!

Which leveling kit did you go with? Also next time you load the Jeep can you post up some pics on how you strap the Jeep down, I am a visual person. :)
Josh Schwalb
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

schwalby wrote:Thanks for the info!

Which leveling kit did you go with? Also next time you load the Jeep can you post up some pics on how you strap the Jeep down, I am a visual person. :)

BDS 3" front lift kit BDS-028300
I'll look later to see if I have some pics that show it but I don't think I do. Otherwise you could just come to Rausch Creek with us next month and follow me - you could stare at it for hours! :lol:
2014-19 Vice President
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Nice truck.

I don't use add-a-anything or a weight dist hitch either. Never had a problem at any speed. Just brought my brothers COE home and it was a piece of cake.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
schwalby

So may need a ball mount this weekend. What style is best?

I have always used:

But thinking this style might be a better option. Questioning the "adjusting part, seems like a weak link.

Josh Schwalb
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

As long as the adjustable is rated for the weight you want I wouldn't worry about it.
I't nice to have one you can adjust depending on what you are towing. Beats have 2 or 3 different hitch's. (I must have 5 or 6 of them)
Looks like it uses two pins just like the SINGLE one that normally holds the hitch into the receiver.
The pins are very strong in sheer.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ArticRubi
Jeep Year: 2008

Unread post by ArticRubi »

I haven't seen any of those adjustable types rated for more than 6k, you'll need a 10k+ hitch to tow your pig
schwalby

Good point. I did find one though... for a mere $150. Going to stick with the regular ones.
Josh Schwalb
nhdcoye
BSJ Member

Unread post by nhdcoye »

let me know if need to borrow one as I have a few with various drop lengths if needed
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids