Beadlocks? What you running how do you like em?

ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Beadlocks? What you running how do you like em?

Unread post by ArticRubi »

nostaw wrote: Changed to a 15x7 wheel and have no more bead issues
Eh? How about blowing that bead in the rain at F&F last August? :liar: :-o

I agree with Ryan on basically all fronts. Definitely stay away from the internals, numerous issues with tearing reported, also a pretty short (2 - 3 year) lifespan on them. At $200 each they're also more expensive than a few of the Allied offerings. I would personally shop options that have the lock ring bolts recessed/protected in some manner. It'll make it much easier to do PM on them and remove the ring whenever need arises if your bolt heads aren't ground down.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

ArticRubi wrote:
nostaw wrote: Changed to a 15x7 wheel and have no more bead issues
Eh? How about blowing that bead in the rain at F&F last August? :liar: :-o
Try again... I wasn't at the F&F run so I'm sure I didn't blow a bead there. :music-tool:

JW
ArticRubi
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ArticRubi »

nostaw wrote: Try again... I wasn't at the F&F run so I'm sure I didn't blow a bead there. :music-tool:

JW
Ah, wrong John/Jon in the red XJ. Apologies!
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

ArticRubi wrote:
nostaw wrote: Try again... I wasn't at the F&F run so I'm sure I didn't blow a bead there. :music-tool:

JW
Ah, wrong John/Jon in the red XJ. Apologies!
No worries... You're not the first to have confused us. ;)

I can say, quite positively, that I haven't lost a bead since I went to a narrower tire size, which was back in '06 or '07. I haven't done a many runs as I'd like in the past couple years, but I've got a lot of miles on these tires / wheels... I don't just wheel easy stuff either... I can't say that a narrower wheel will work for everyone, but I think it is worth considering before you lay out serious $. Beadlocks have their place, but they aren't the only solution.

JW
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Jon I have 15x8 Basset wheels with my 35 MTRs, Ive been running them for about 3 seasons now and do a fair number of runs (8-10) a year and drive to and from. I was running at 10psi for a long time, when I went to 8psi I blew two beads in one day flopped and then blew a tire and tore 3 or 4 holes in a second tire in short order. Have made it a point to use my staun deflators to keep the tires about 10psi in the front and since then haven't blown a bead since. The tires flex decent at 10 but I expect they would work a bit better at 5-6psi.....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Joliet Jake Blues wrote:... DIY to Allied, Trail Ready, looks like ProComp has a few. So whatcha running and how have they held up for you?
Ran Allied's steelies on the YJ for a number of years and never blew a bead. They held up very well despite the thrashing I've done to them.

I just put Allied's steelies on the Ton's project too.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Well said Ryan. FjR68