Jay from Somersworth, NH

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Jay from Somersworth, NH

Unread post by Marky »

Our JK started on 33's with 2.5" budget lift. It's grown since then, but in all honesty, for a daily driver I would not want to drive my JK now that it sits on 35's and 4" total lift. I think the 33"/2.5 was the best mix of trail/street I ever had. I'm still debating trading in my dd for a new JK, but I will not build that one out the way my current one is built.

And I'll 4th or 5th the evap skid. It's really easy to install (a child could do it - seriously) and based on the "war-wounds" on it, it's a part that has easily paid for itself at least twice!

Edit: I had to add wheel spacers to both the front and rear of mine to accommodate the 35's. The rear was ok until I added the 3" suspension lift, but the front needed it right away because they were hitting the sway bar disconnects. The lift in the back is weird - even with my stock tires on it I need the spacers now. <shrug>
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
walshy78
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by walshy78 »

Marky wrote:Our JK started on 33's with 2.5" budget lift. It's grown since then, but in all honesty, for a daily driver I would not want to drive my JK now that it sits on 35's and 4" total lift. I think the 33"/2.5 was the best mix of trail/street I ever had. I'm still debating trading in my dd for a new JK, but I will not build that one out the way my current one is built.

And I'll 4th or 5th the evap skid. It's really easy to install (a child could do it - seriously) and based on the "war-wounds" on it, it's a part that has easily paid for itself at least twice!

Edit: I had to add wheel spacers to both the front and rear of mine to accommodate the 35's. The rear was ok until I added the 3" suspension lift, but the front needed it right away because they were hitting the sway bar disconnects. The lift in the back is weird - even with my stock tires on it I need the spacers now. <shrug>
Thanks Marky for taking the time to share your past and present experiences with your JK! I'm gonna pick up that evap skid and rock rails in the short term to hopfully be able to play a little on the 101 setup weekend. 33/2.5 sounds the most practical but damn the 35's with 4in looks sweet! I know in the long run I'll get a beater as a commuting car and then trick out Jimmy once the payments are finished! :dance:
~Jay Walsh~

I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party. - Ron White
walshy78

Hello All -

I wanted to shoot out an update. So I've hooked up my CB/Antenna and I've read reviews where you need to get it "tuned". For those of you attending the pre-101 setup, do any of you know if that would that be something I could get help with before the event or it is a pain to do? I can show up early so it doesn't affect the timing of the 101 set up.

Also, I was all lined up to order the evap skid and went to get under the rig to think through the install, and found there was already a factory one - Go Jeep for having one stock on the 2012 JKU!

Lastly, I found a guy in Exeter selling a 2nd gen AEV 2.5 budget boost for $100 which seemed like a good deal. Hope to pick it up this week. Now just need to figure out how to install it!

Jimmy is coming together, thanks to all of you for your guidance!!!!!

Oh and "Smittybilt SRC Jeep Side Armor & Rocker Guards" are in route too!

Looking forward to the pre-101 run!
~Jay Walsh~

I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party. - Ron White
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Jay - I'm planning to have my new CB by then and if I get that and my SWR meter, I'll help you out. It's been a while since I tuned a CB but it's not hard - as long as you have an antenna with a tuning screw. Most new antenna's will have that
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Carl, I have an SWR meter you can borrow if you need, feel free to bring it to the 101 if you want!
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
walshy78

Great thank you both! I got a Firestick brand 4 foot antenna which I believe will work.
~Jay Walsh~

schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

On the end of the antenna there will be a white cap, pull that off and under it you will either have a screw or a white cylinder type deal.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

FWIW -

I saw you asking about the Toyo Open Country AT which Don recommended. I have those Toyos (OC AT) on both my DD vehicles ('06 Dodge Ram pickup & '07 Grand Cherokee) and I've been very happy with them.

JW
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Baseshakers wrote:Carl, I have an SWR meter you can borrow if you need, feel free to bring it to the 101 if you want!
you have yourself a deal! Thanks Ryan. That meter have the pig-tail coax cable with it?
I may as well return your 220V 'extension' cord when I pick that up :doh:
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I have all the SWR stuff too... Plan to be @ 101,

JW
walshy78

Cool - Thank you very much guys!

If I'm able to pick up the budget boost soon is there anyone that wants to teach a newbie how to install it? :pray:
~Jay Walsh~

Kodi
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Kodi »

wait for ittttt.....wait for itttt.... glad you are coming along in the "build" of a REAL Jeep! HA!! kidding Jay!
DIFFERENT ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER, BUT BETTER IS ALWAYS DIFFERENT"

Dale Dauten
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

walshy78 wrote:If I'm able to pick up the budget boost soon is there anyone that wants to teach a newbie how to install it? :pray:
I can lend a garage if you want some help and don't mind driving to Hollis.... Got air tools and plenty of room. I'm sure we can drum up a few other monkeys to wrench on it if we offer a free lunch.

JW
Kodi
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Kodi »

Thanks John...that way, rain or shine...it gets done! Who's better than you today!?
DIFFERENT ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER, BUT BETTER IS ALWAYS DIFFERENT"

Dale Dauten
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

Is the firestick you bought tunable? There are some with a screw as Josh stated, but some are "pre-tuned" and do not have the screw. I have a couple of those and they're usually pretty close, but if you want it perfect it may require sawing off a bit of length. I like to put spring mounts on the bottom of the stick (it will get hit/caught on the trails and you'll be glad it's on a spring) which will tend to make it "electrically long". That may necessitate cutting the stick. I cut mine but only needed to cut a small amount off to make it "perfect".
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor