XJ Heater core

nostaw

XJ Heater core

Unread post by nostaw »

So, I had my XJ into Lou's today for a pinion seal, which turned into misc maintenance items.

After I left I put the heat on and noticed a distinct oder of anti-freeze (hot grease on the exhaust too, but that was expected).

According to Chris (Lou's mechanic) it is a ~6 hr job (for someone who knows what they're doing) + parts, and I need to have the AC refrigerant purged first (then it becomes an OBA pump!). I am debating if I want to change the heater core myself (or not).

Anyone here had experience with this?

JW
johnsxj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: XJ Heater core

Unread post by johnsxj »

Ahhhh..... one of those great repairs where the part doesn't cost too much but the labor.............

Not sure how much better or worse it is on a '97-up with the newer dash layout, 5-6 hours sounds close to right on a pre-'97.

I haven't had to replace one yet, but after tearing down several XJ's I do know the heater box assy is a PITA to remove without breaking a mounting point or two.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Ugghh... Trying to find a place which will evacuate the AC... Dealer wants $175! Waiting for a local shop to call me back... what a PITA...

Finding a heater core doesn't seem too bad... ~$100 or so... Crown Auto doesn't seem to make one for the '97+ years though... :(

JW
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

RockAuto.com lists two heater cores for your Jeep.
SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 93024 $35.79
VISTA-PRO Part # 399233 $45.79

Autozone also has the SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 93024 but they want $64.99 for it.
Advanced has a Ready-Air PN 399233 for $64.99

Rockauto.com usually has great prices.
I buy a number of Dodge, Toyota & Jeep parts from them.
Quick reasonable shipping too.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Sometimes you can find RockAuto discount codes too.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Thanks for the tip... Will check them out. I'm going to go probe the vents with my boroscope and see if I can get an idea of where the leak is / how bad it is.

JW
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Things that make you go 'Hmmm'.... :?

So, I fired up the XJ in the garage, let it run for a bit, and turned the heat on high... Couldn't smell any coolant with my nose in the footwell vents. Took it across town to look at a storage garage for the winter and didn't get a smell on the way there or back. It was blowing hot air though...

So, now I'm not so sure about the heater core. :?:

JW
Scott
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Scott »

When the heater core in my truck went, I started smelling coolant intermittently for a couple months before I decided to change it out. It never did leak out anywhere, just a slight weep.
Lucky for me, it was about an hour job (taking my time) and pretty easy. Only hang up was the parts store gave my the wrong core. I ended up at Autozone and they stocked the correct one. go figure!
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

You may want to check the hose connections to the core. Sometimes they can leak there and the coolant will then follow the core line and drip into the heater box or the passengers compartment.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Scott wrote:When the heater core in my truck went, I started smelling coolant intermittently for a couple months before I decided to change it out. It never did leak out anywhere, just a slight weep.
If it is just an occasional weep, I think I can live with it... I wish I could locate it. I couldn't get my boroscope inside the heater box to look for residue... Wasn't really a good direct path in...
Kurt wrote:You may want to check the hose connections to the core. Sometimes they can leak there and the coolant will then follow the core line and drip into the heater box or the passengers compartment.
That is a good thought... I haven't noticed any drips on the garage floor, but it may not make it that far.

I need to look at that area anyway... When I convert the A/C compressor I'm thinking I'll be able to fit a 1 gal Viair tank under the hood where the AC dryer module and hoses are against the firewall.

JW
Scott
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Scott »

John, I think you jinxed me! Went outside today and noticed a wet spot in front of my truck under the radiator. Turned out to be a loose clamp on the heater hose. :oops:
zenophryk
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by zenophryk »

I had a core go on a 2000 blazer. started out small (just a smell), then it went away for about a month, then got worse. soon it was fogging up the windows.
That was $50 ish for the core and my mechanic said 14 hours by the book. he also said the book was optimistic.
I got it done is a weekend. didn't have to mess with the AC. Major jigsaw puzzle getting the dash off. that was most of the time.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

zenophryk wrote:I had a core go on a 2000 blazer. started out small (just a smell), then it went away for about a month, then got worse. soon it was fogging up the windows.
That was $50 ish for the core and my mechanic said 14 hours by the book. he also said the book was optimistic.
I got it done is a weekend. didn't have to mess with the AC. Major jigsaw puzzle getting the dash off. that was most of the time.
Unfortunately everything I'm reading about my XJ indicates the A/C has to be drained... Fortunately that shouldn't be too hard to do at U-Do-It.

Looks like most of the dash has to come out to do it too... :(

JW
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Kurt wrote:RockAuto.com lists two heater cores for your Jeep.
SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 93024 $35.79
VISTA-PRO Part # 399233 $45.79

Autozone also has the SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 93024 but they want $64.99 for it.
Advanced has a Ready-Air PN 399233 for $64.99

Rockauto.com usually has great prices.
I buy a number of Dodge, Toyota & Jeep parts from them.
Quick reasonable shipping too.
I ordered the Spectra brand from Rock today.... I paid an extra $10 for 3-day shipping... Hopefully I get it by Friday.

Called Napa and AutoZone stores and checked the price/availability... They all sell the same exact part/brand.

JW
zenophryk
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by zenophryk »

kinda late I know, but I have one kicking around that you're welcome to. if it were an easy changeout then I would probably not care if I used a Used core, but with that much work I would probably want new anyways.

I also have a bunch of heater box parts, like vaccume actuators and such, if you need them once you get it open.