Thoughts on hydraulic ram assist steering

IronTortoise
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1994
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Thoughts on hydraulic ram assist steering

Unread post by IronTortoise »

My 94 YJ's steering is not quite up to the task of steering on the trail with my current 33 inch tires. At some point in the future I will most likely have 35's, and it will be even worse. I am considering either going to a good aftermarket steering box and pump setup like those offered by AGR or PSE and am also toying with the idea of a hydraulic ram assist steering setup also offered by both of the same companies. Thoughts or suggestions?
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Re: Thoughts on hydraulic ram assist steering

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

If your current steering can't handle 33's, then something is amiss. Check everything, from the tie rods to the sector shaft in the box.

I'm in the middle (well, maybe not quite the middle) of putting together a home brew ram assist to turn my 38 x 15.5" MT Claws. It's actually not too bad around here, but when I was out in Moab, turning was sometimes a big PITA. Although that was like driving around in low range on dry pavement for a week.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Don't think its street legal in MA to run that fwiw.... not to say anyone would know even at the inspection station....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

Full hydro is not legal but hydro assist is. The intent is to keep a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the actual front wheels in case your engine stalls or something.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Whats an inspection station ?? You Mass guy have all the luck ! Tee Hee !!!!! FjR68
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by beaker »

fortyfour wrote:Full hydro is not legal but hydro assist is. The intent is to keep a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the actual front wheels in case your engine stalls or something.
Got a law or regulation to quote for that? I'm pretty sure its a myth...
IronTortoise
BSJ Member

So far it does not seem like hydraulic assist steering is a bad idea. My stock steering is fine on the street but as I mentioned sometimes on the trail it seems less than capable. Perhaps there is something less than correct with my steering as it is set up, but changing to hydraulic assist would likely correct that problem with additional benefits.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

beaker wrote:
fortyfour wrote:Full hydro is not legal but hydro assist is. The intent is to keep a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the actual front wheels in case your engine stalls or something.
Got a law or regulation to quote for that? I'm pretty sure its a myth...
I could not find a specific law in Mass that prohibits full hydro steering, however, there are a couple of key things to keep in mind:

1) Full hydro offers less feedback and is not needed for small 33" or 35" tires.

2) If you were on the street and broke a belt or your engine died, there goes your steering. In that case, you would open up a world of hurt as far as lawsuits go if you were in an accident.
IronTortoise
BSJ Member

Thanks, Once again I am not talking about full hydro, rather hydro assist. It should be steerable in the event of a belt/engine failure
Captian Carnage

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

Im running 36in Irocks my stock steering is good when I go larger I will get hydro assist a

Iron Tortoise what do you have for a front Axle A d30 hydro assist on a D 30 is a total waste of time + money With 35s you max out the D30 With alloys it will stess your ring gear alot more And a low pinion is not as strong at the ring gear as a high pinion Upgrading a low pinion D 30 it not worth the money Thats my opinion your choice

I am running a D30 high pinion this year I went through 2 R +p and a set of alloy shafts I expect to break my front axle a few times a year I carry most parts I need to get out of the woods

If you steering is not good with 33s you have a problem in your steering Find the problem before you up grade to any thing Bigger tires will make it worse
It should handle 33s with a stock set up with no issues
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I'll agree with Brian, in that adding hydro assist to a Dana 30 is kind of a waste. It's also overkill for small tires.

I guess if you have the coin, but be warned that those all inclusive kits are $$$.
Captian Carnage

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

ZAEDOCK wrote:I'll agree with Brian, in that adding hydro assist to a Dana 30 is kind of a waste. It's also overkill for small tires.

I guess if you have the coin, but be warned that those all inclusive kits are $$$.

LOL I have got smarter in the past 5 years LOL
Remember my 1st post on here Joe About getting wheelshake ( death wobble ) That was the fall of 05 My 1st 4 months with a jeep
Now look at me I been told I am a good to go wheeling with I carry alot of spares and know how to put then in LMAO Sorry to hi jack this post It just came to me when Joe said He agreed with me Joe helped me with the wheel shake I was having ended up being a slightly bent tire rod Thanks for the memeory recall Joe LOL
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

If you won't take our word(s) for it, then I think you should talk to an experienced shop. You really shouldn't need hydro assist for a D30 w/ 35" tires (or less.

JW
IronTortoise
BSJ Member

Ok you have convinced I will not pursue the hydro-assist
catie14
Jeep Year: 2009
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by catie14 »

Don't polish a turd...................

If you're intent on hydro "ASSIST" (it is legal) and y ou are not up to the task of gathering the parts (hoses, correct hydro ram, fittings, and brackets a good source is West texas offroad "RedNeck Ram. westtexasoffroad.com