Once again....Thank you Carl!!!!

You can talk about anything here
Eve
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2001
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Once again....Thank you Carl!!!!

Unread post by Eve »

Nope - never touched drums, Joe - you should teach us oh knowledgeable one... and the garage is the U-Do-It place in Nashua NH, pretty cool and lots of tools!!

They even have safety glasses.....
Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music.
mightymeglet
Jeep Model: XK Commander

Unread post by mightymeglet »

That sounds pretty darn cool, and it does not have the standard garage clutter ( motorcycles, dead lawn mowers that sort) I change my tires 2 at a time, can't get the whole Jeep into the garage and can't use the Jack that well on the gravel driveway.
Account no longer in use.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

ZAEDOCK wrote:
mightymeglet wrote:Eve, have you done drum brakes yet? I HATE them! You need a degree in puzzles to get them together. Once curses start flowing more than other words my dad takes over.
Drum brakes are easy. Easier than replacing rotors/bearings/races prior to automakers going to unit hubs.

Practice young padawan learner.
Meg, drums ARE easy. Especially if you do one side at a time. Then you don't need to solve puzzles, just go look at the other side. Geez, us old farts gotta teach you kids everything.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

What is the garage rates??
mightymeglet
Jeep Model: XK Commander

Unread post by mightymeglet »

DDewar53 wrote:
ZAEDOCK wrote:
mightymeglet wrote:Eve, have you done drum brakes yet? I HATE them! You need a degree in puzzles to get them together. Once curses start flowing more than other words my dad takes over.
Drum brakes are easy. Easier than replacing rotors/bearings/races prior to automakers going to unit hubs.

Meg, drums ARE easy. Especially if you do one side at a time. Then you don't need to solve puzzles, just go look at the other side. Geez, us old farts gotta teach you kids everything.
I do one side at a time, I get one spring on then other and it pops and I start again. It's gettin it all together that's a pain in the bumm.
Account no longer in use.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Chris wrote:What is the garage rates??
rates are $30 for the first hour and $20 per hr after that. Most bays have a lift. Price includes hand tools, air tools and welding equipment, if you know how to weld. And some other stuff, like a tire machine, drills, angle grinder and I'm sure other stuff. I've been up there a few times, spent 2.5 hours each time, which worked out to $60. The guy that owns the place is also an ASE mechanic and is willing to give (free) advice. Or you can sit back and pay him $60 / hr to do the work for you
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by beaker »

Don't suppose you noticed how big the biggest lift was... my other toy needs a little work, involving pulling the front axle, so it would definately be useful...

-mike
DDewar53

mightymeglet wrote:
DDewar53 wrote:
ZAEDOCK wrote:

I do one side at a time, I get one spring on then other and it pops and I start again. It's gettin it all together that's a pain in the bumm.
The hooked end of the spring opens up when you pry it off during disassembly. Ya gotta squeeze them around the hook with a pair of channel locks so they stay hooked. After you've done about 30 or so sets of drum brakes it you learn the tricks.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

ive done a ton of calipers and havent done drums in 10-15yrs. was real happy when I found my wifes oddessy had rear calipers as well... half of my wanting to upgrade to an 8.8 is to avoid the drums on my TJ... that and my dana 35 is doomed....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

jpcamb wrote:ive done a ton of calipers and havent done drums in 10-15yrs. was real happy when I found my wifes oddessy had rear calipers as well... half of my wanting to upgrade to an 8.8 is to avoid the drums on my TJ... that and my dana 35 is doomed....

Hate to say but there's mini drums for the e-brake inside the 8.8 disks (and they tend to suck as far as holding power goes)
One of my projects this year is to try and find some e-brake integral calipers that I can mount up to my 8.8 :idea:
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by Kurt »

johnsxj wrote: One of my projects this year is to try and find some e-brake integral calipers that I can mount up to my 8.8 :idea:
If you find some :roll: please let me know. I'd love to have an e-brake that actually works well.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

Kurt wrote:
johnsxj wrote: One of my projects this year is to try and find some e-brake integral calipers that I can mount up to my 8.8 :idea:
If you find some :roll: please let me know. I'd love to have an e-brake that actually works well.
x2
smileyfish
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by smileyfish »

x3 i have 8.8 brakes on my 9 and they stink.
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Actually I'll rephrase it to AFFORDABLE integral e-brake calipers that I can mount to my 8.8 :lol:
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
DDewar53

johnsxj wrote:Actually I'll rephrase it to AFFORDABLE integral e-brake calipers that I can mount to my 8.8 :lol:

My kid had an older Taurus that had integral e-brake calipers. Don't know if they and be made to work.

what about using a cutting brake on the driveshaft off of the T-Case?

http://truck.hownd.com/product-2049-hig ... brake.html

Robert A. Heinlein