D44 locker and gear install

nostaw

Re: D44 locker and gear install

Unread post by nostaw »

Kai -

When you're ready I'll be happy to let you refurbish the XJ D44 I've got in my garage... You don't want to get out of practice!

JW
ChrisD
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ChrisD »

norstar wrote:You don't want the axle. It doesn't have TJ brackets and you'll have to grind off the truss and my crappy welds. :lol:
Not a problem...

Did the D44 come out of a XJ?
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

lookin good stud!!
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Nice truss Kai!!
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
norstar
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by norstar »

Thanks guys!
nostaw wrote:Kai -
When you're ready I'll be happy to let you refurbish the XJ D44 I've got in my garage... You don't want to get out of practice!
JW
Jon, just take your time and work on it. I had mine in the garage for almost a year (maybe more than a year) and worked on it whenever I could. Let me know when you're having a wrench fest. I'll come over to drink some of your beers :lol: , and of course give you a hand too. :D

I have to practice on my front HP D44 now. Just welded the brackets on today...

Chris wrote: Did the D44 come out of a XJ?
Yes. It's an XJ D44.
Wait, I thought you already have a D44 under your Jeep.
Working on your wife's XJ?
smileyfish
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by smileyfish »

looking good kai!!
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

Was thinking for the front...
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

norstar wrote: Jon, just take your time and work on it. I had mine in the garage for almost a year (maybe more than a year) and worked on it whenever I could. Let me know when you're having a wrench fest. I'll come over to drink some of your beers :lol: , and of course give you a hand too. :D
I'm not actually planning to build it up. The C8.25 I've got already has Superior chrome-moly shafts, an ARB, & 4.56 gears so I'm not going to sink $ into the D44 any time soon.

What kind of HP D44 front is that you're building on?

JW
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

It's a Ford D44 narrowed to TJ/XJ width.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Quick question on your rear axle shafts:

I slightly twisted a Mitchell Diff Alloy and ordered up a set of Alloy USA 4140 shafts for my XJ Dana 44 rear. The existing rear wheel bearings are two piece (which I've done a million times when I turned a wrench years ago). The new kit is designed to fit 97+TJ / XJ/ and Rubi rear 44's and comes with a one piece Timkin bearing. I've found both kinds in the parts search of various auto stores. What type do yo have?

Anyone with a TJ rear 44 have the one piece (race and bearing pressed on shaft together and slide in the axle end). How well does it fit?
I was hoping to use my old shafts as spares and might pick up new bearings so I can swap easier (or keep the race and tap 'em in when needed).

Muchas thanks honkees.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

norstar wrote:It's a Ford D44 narrowed to TJ/XJ width.
Did you pay someone to do that, or did you buy it that way?

Does this axle use unit bearings or manual hubs?

JW
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

ZAEDOCK wrote:Quick question on your rear axle shafts:

I slightly twisted a Mitchell Diff Alloy and ordered up a set of Alloy USA 4140 shafts for my XJ Dana 44 rear. The existing rear wheel bearings are two piece (which I've done a million times when I turned a wrench years ago). The new kit is designed to fit 97+TJ / XJ/ and Rubi rear 44's and comes with a one piece Timkin bearing. I've found both kinds in the parts search of various auto stores. What type do yo have?

Anyone with a TJ rear 44 have the one piece (race and bearing pressed on shaft together and slide in the axle end). How well does it fit?
I was hoping to use my old shafts as spares and might pick up new bearings so I can swap easier (or keep the race and tap 'em in when needed).

Muchas thanks honkees.
Joe, I also have Alloy USA shafts (35 splines :twisted: ) in my XJ D44. The kit has two piece bearings. Maybe mine is not so new. ;) Did I tell you my parts are sitting in my garage for a long time? :lol:
BTW, I think Mitchell uses Yukon as their Alloy supplier.

Oh, anyone wants to buy a set of factory original D44 shafts? Fits XJ/TJ*. :D

*you'll need to change the axle retainer plate for TJ.
nostaw wrote: Did you pay someone to do that, or did you buy it that way?
Does this axle use unit bearings or manual hubs?
JW
Good question Jon. I was going to do it myself. But after cutting off a couple of brackets I decided to call Mitchell. :lol:
Cutting off Ford brackets and 1/2" tube using a 4-1/2" grinder is no fun and I hate grinding. Not to mention I also need to build a jig to set the caster and pinion angle before burning everything back in. It's much easier and cheaper for me to get it done at Mitchell since he already has a jig. The knuckle and tube was suppose to be pressed fit but it was not. So I welded the the other side of the knuckle to the tube as well. Other than that, everything was made to my spec and only a few thousands off.

I am going to run manual hubs. A combo of Chevy and Ford parts.
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

So I destroyed two brand new inner axle seals yesterday.
Went to a local ACE Hardware store to pick up some washers plus a threaded rod and made myself an inner axle seal installer for ~$10. Works flawlessly and also works on D30 too. :D
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Cool on the seal installer. I use threaded rod too. I also have a small sched 40 pipe that has a nut welded on the end with a metal cup that's slightly smaller than the seal. It goes through the axle and gets tapped.
I like the threaded rod "tool" better.

Hey, I found a couple of old spare D44 shafts in my shed. Same part number bearings as my new ones.
I feel stoopid...my new bearings are simply stuck together. :roll:

I'll bring 'em in to work on Monday for pressing.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
norstar

Unread post by norstar »

I used the "tapping" tool at first and that's how I messed up the two seals.
Did you get your bearings pressed in?
BTW, what is the trick to press "off" the old axle bearing without cutting the cage and destroying it?

My Jeep had a weird electrical problem over the weekend. I lost power to the windows, mirrors and radio. But I drove it to the Jeep Rally anyways. Then on Monday, I was going to drive the Jeep to work and put on some more gear break-in miles. Drove down the street and found out my wipers (it was raining) also lost power. So I ended up taking my DD to work. I checked the FSM wiring diagrams when I got home that day. All the above problems point to a single ACC wire. So I pulled off the under dash cover and tested that wire with a test light for +12v. There was power to the wire then everything works again. I've tried pulling on the wiring harness to check for lose connections but nothing... That was just weird! :?