Rebuild Trac-lok

keithc
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Rebuild Trac-lok

Unread post by keithc »

Hey all. Just started daydreaming of spring projects today.

While I cant spring the money for gears or locker update, I have to crack into the rear diff (TJ D44) to fix a leak and change oil. Is it even worth me considering replacing the clutch pack in my Trac-lok? I know its toast and has been for a while, since i can spin one wheel by hand.

If its as easy as the $50-$70 clutch kit, then might be worth the effort. If its additional setup tools and really tearing the thing apart, maybe not worth it....

Can't seem to find any real detail on line, so I thought I would ask....

-Keith
======================================================
Keith C and family
BGBIRD Yellow Jeep TJ
The Bus Brown Excursion
Happy Camper 31' Prowler TT
Wife, two girls, crazy dog, and a partridge in a pear tree.....
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Rebuild Trac-lok

Unread post by johnsxj »

The hardest part is removing and re-installing the the big "S" spring to get to the clutch packs. You'll also have to pull the axle shafts out about 6" to clear the side gears which means pulling the tires and brakes.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

It's easier to pull the chuck. Not worth it, IMO. Time for a lunch box.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

Unread post by Carl McFly »

don't think you can get a lunchbox locker for a 44 with TracLok :(

I hope I'm wrong and if I am it should take about 6 - 12 minutes to find out ..... ;) I have a 44 with LS and if there's one out there, I'm interested
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

It is a different carrier. All you need is a empty carrier from another 44 and have at it. It will require setting mesh only as the pinion stays in the housing. On my 44 (1986) The ratio break is 3.92 to run 4.10 or 56s and up. Your Tj may have that built into it ? A 30 breaks at 3.55down/3.73 and up but a 44 breaks 3.73 down and 3.92 up . There I said it and Im glad . FjR68
johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

Powertrax makes the NoSpin for the D44 with 30 splines and a limited slip carrier.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Bran ... +44+locker
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

johnsxj wrote:Powertrax makes the NoSpin for the D44 with 30 splines and a limited slip carrier.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Bran ... +44+locker
You are correct sir. I put one in my D44 rear with Trac-Loc over the Summer. It's just as easy as any other lunch box locker to install although it did take me a little while to figure out how to get the "guts" out of the carrier. If this is your daily driver you may not want this locker, I am not happy about the way my Jeep handles now as it can be a little "twitchy" at times.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
keithc

Unread post by keithc »

I had heard of the Powertrax for D44 w/ TL. Heard the early ones were blowing up the weaker carrier... I am not a pedal down kind of guy, so I had thought I might be able to make it live. And the Jeep only sees 4-5K/year these days.... may not be a bad upgrade... guess I can also look at if the carrier looks bad to begin with.

Also, can I replace the pinion seal on the D44 without taking the thing apart. Well, I mean I know I have to remove the yoke at least, but is it a crush sleeve thing....?
Keith C and family
BGBIRD Yellow Jeep TJ
The Bus Brown Excursion
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

keithc wrote:I had heard of the Powertrax for D44 w/ TL. Heard the early ones were blowing up the weaker carrier... I am not a pedal down kind of guy, so I had thought I might be able to make it live. And the Jeep only sees 4-5K/year these days.... may not be a bad upgrade... guess I can also look at if the carrier looks bad to begin with.

Also, can I replace the pinion seal on the D44 without taking the thing apart. Well, I mean I know I have to remove the yoke at least, but is it a crush sleeve thing....?
wow, $500 for a locker... think I'll look at rebuilding my LS
(sniff....sniff...... is that a wrenchfest I smell????)

Lou replaced my pinion seal this past year and I'm pretty sure it wasn't to involved. He had it done while I waited. No crush sleeve as far as I know. But diffs still kind of scare me, I felt safer having a pro do it or at least someone who knows more than me. And that's not to hard!
keithc

Unread post by keithc »

Yeah, holy cow. I checked the price same time you did. No way its worth that IMHO. I will just suck up the basically open diff until I regear someday. Makes the trails that much more challenging.... :)
Keith C and family
BGBIRD Yellow Jeep TJ
The Bus Brown Excursion
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

keithc wrote:I had heard of the Powertrax for D44 w/ TL. Heard the early ones were blowing up the weaker carrier... I am not a pedal down kind of guy, so I had thought I might be able to make it live. And the Jeep only sees 4-5K/year these days.... may not be a bad upgrade... guess I can also look at if the carrier looks bad to begin with.

Your Dana 44 doesn't use a crush sleeve. After you clean the yolk, make a hash mark with paint or a sharpie from the pinion nut to the yolk. After you swap the seal, tighten the nut back to the line, or even a hair more. Don't forget to grease the sealing surface and use a bit of RTV where the seal enters the axle housing. Without a lift, it should take about 1/2 hr.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Most Lock Rites are under 400.00 . I like mine. Very easy to do. Even you (Carl) could do it ! FjR68
johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

I wasn't seeing a Lock Rite for the D44 with a limited grip.
The NoSlip is a much more refined version of the luchbox hence the higher pricetag.
Function over form=4x4

Carl McFly
BSJ Member

Frank wrote:Most Lock Rites are under 400.00 . I like mine. Very easy to do. Even you (Carl) could do it ! FjR68
Thanks Frank!!

... I think....... :?
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

johnsxj wrote:I wasn't seeing a Lock Rite for the D44 with a limited grip.
The NoSlip is a much more refined version of the luchbox hence the higher pricetag.
Hardly more refined, pretty much the same thing. Unfortunately, the NoSlip is the only lunch box option for the Trac Loc carrier.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour