wesley4x4
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

turn you 15gal tank into a 20gal tank for freezes

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/fuel/15to20gal/

there is the link to the tutorial but i think ill just post it here

1. First remove the negative terminal from the battery. This may sound menial but you are working near the taillights and don't want any sparks from some lose connection.
2. Remove the gas cap to release the pressure from the fuel system. Let it set for a few minutes to let the fumes dissipate.
3. Remove the filler neck shroud that is below the gas filler housing on the underside of the body. This is held in place by 4 push clips. To remove these, pry the head away from the body then after the head pulls away remove the whole clip. If your Jeep is like mine they were brittle so just yank away then head to your favorite parts store and get new ones.
4. Using a Torx bit, remove the license plate (watch your fingers) and the filler housing.
5. Looking up from the underside you see the 2 hoses. The fill vent hose is the upper one running to the rear connection in the fuel tank. The fuel filler hose connects at the front most location.
6. Remove both hoses from the fuel filler housing and set the housing aside.
7. The only hose you have to loosen and remove from the fuel tank is the fill vent hose. The one closest to the rear of the Jeep.
8. After removing the fill vent hose use your needle-nose pliers to remove the inner piece of plastic. You may need a thin screwdriver to make room for the pliers to grab the inner hose.
9. Pull the inner plastic hose out it will be just over 9 ?" long. All it needs to be is as long as the neck the fill vent hose connects to.

i know its a old commen mod but thaught id throw this up here seeing how im going to be doing this mod tommaorw and was just thinking maybe someone hasn't seen it before :) and ill take pictures
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
JamesTree

Re: turn you 15gal tank into a 20gal tank for freezes

Unread post by JamesTree »

Be careful. With the TJ the tube you want to pull out is actually molded into the gastank and would have to be cut from the inside.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

wesley4x4 wrote:i know its a old commen mod but thaught id throw this up here seeing how im going to be doing this mod tommaorw and was just thinking maybe someone hasn't seen it before :) and ill take pictures
That mod is for 91-95 YJ's (did the mod about 10 years ago). I think your '99 already has the 19 gallon tank.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
wesley4x4

i fill up when my needle hits the beginning of the red zone soo idk... but i only can put about 16 gallons in it from E... unless there is 3 gallons remaining threw that red zone...
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Sounds about right. My Heep has a low fuel warning light that kicks in at about 3 gal.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

The low fuel light is supposed to kick on 40 or 60 miles before empty (can't remember the exact mileage, but I think it is supposed to be standard), so I'd expect 2-3 gals.

JW
wesley4x4

awww :( so this mod wont work for me :'(
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

wesley4x4 wrote:i fill up when my needle hits the beginning of the red zone soo idk... but i only can put about 16 gallons in it from E... unless there is 3 gallons remaining threw that red zone...
If you could add 16 gallons on E, why did you think you had a 15 gallon tank?
wesley4x4

because i was told i did.... i was lied to
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Hey Wes. I still have your throttle body. You going to the August run? I'll defintely be there.

Also - How's your 2.5L running. I'm on the fence about going a different route with the YJ. Any interest in buying mine? I'd let it, and all the extra sensors, tb's, etc go pretty cheap. She only has about 45K miles on her. It's out of a '95 and I bought it with 38K miles. Maybe even the tranny and t-case adapter package. It would slide right into your TJ and with your gears, give you an 80:1 crawl ratio.

Like I said, I'm thinking about it - but any interest might sway my plans.
wesley4x4

ZAEDOCK wrote:Hey Wes. I still have your throttle body. You going to the August run? I'll defintely be there.

Also - How's your 2.5L running. I'm on the fence about going a different route with the YJ. Any interest in buying mine? I'd let it, and all the extra sensors, tb's, etc go pretty cheap. She only has about 45K miles on her. It's out of a '95 and I bought it with 38K miles. Maybe even the tranny and t-case adapter package. It would slide right into your TJ and with your gears, give you an 80:1 crawl ratio.

Like I said, I'm thinking about it - but any interest might sway my plans.
pm sent