On-Board air

schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: On-Board air

Unread post by schwalby »

schwalby wrote:I am trying to do the A/C conversion method but I am having a hard time finding out what model year(s) of the Neon and PT Cruiser have the same motor as my Jeep. Any help? I have the 2.4
Anyone? You guys can tell me the bolt size of any bolt on a Jeep you don't know this. :cry:
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Blown7
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by Blown7 »

schwalby wrote:I am trying to do the A/C conversion method but I am having a hard time finding out what model year(s) of the Neon and PT Cruiser have the same motor as my Jeep. Any help? I have the 2.4
2.4 DOHC 16V in the Neon is a Turbo
2.4 DOHC 16V NA in the PT

2004 the same.

2003 the same.
2002 the same.

TechAuthority helps.. :D

So do you have a DOHC?
schwalby

I do have the DOHC.

So if I find a a 2002-2005 Neon with a 4cyl I am good to go? Just want to make sure so I don't screw around fighting to get an AC unit off and not have it be right.

What else do I want to make sure I get while I am there?

Also is there any way to check and make sure the pump is good?
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
schwalby

Think I found one, is $75 a good price?
Josh Schwalb
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

You probably want all the engine accessory brackets which are near / attached to it, I'd grab the belt (so you can measure for length of what you'll need), and see if there is a belt routing sticker when you pull it.

JW
schwalby

I am 99% sure that the belt that I have now will work. On the belt routing sticker I have it shows with and with out A/C and one of the pulleys are not used when you have A/C. They might have actually been smart and a designed it so one belt works for both applications.

The pump I found I think has already been pulled from the car so I am going to call and see if they have the brakets and what not or still have a vechicle I can pull them off of.
Josh Schwalb
Blown7

Unread post by Blown7 »

schwalby wrote:I do have the DOHC.

What else do I want to make sure I get while I am there?
I have found that you cannot get enough stuff, get all you can, you never know what you may need or what ideas you can use.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I'd also get the hard lines w/ fittings which connect to the pump and a few inches of line (or whatever is there).

JW
schwalby

I am picking up the pump and brackets Saturday morning. Now what do I need to get from the hardware stores? I know some sort of manifold, pressure switch and some fittings and lines. Don't I also need some sort of oiler and something else to take the moisture / oil back out of the lines before going to the tires? I don't mind getting too many "parts" and returning what I don't need .

Any suggestion on what brand or type of these things I need and best place to get them? Also how much hose should I get? I am thinking for right now I am just going to put one fitting in the engine bay and then add others to the front and rear of the Jeep later.
Josh Schwalb
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

That all depends on how fancy you want to get.....

Seeing as you've had such a fun time getting a pump, I'd suggest a set up like Kurt's with a pre-oiler and filter/seporator designed to remove the oil from the compressed air. I didn't bother with that as pumps are cheap and easy to find for the 4.0 so I just pull the plug on the pump and squirt some dura-lube in there from time to time.

A manifold is easy enough to do with "t" fittings and pipe nipples. You can use pretty much any pressure cut off switch from the little pre-set jobs from Viair, to an adjustable "grey box" job that you MIGHT find at Sears or Home Depot but would have a better bet at locating on line or if you have a place near you that deals strictly with air compressors. You'll also need a check valve mounted between the pump and cut off switch. Without it, air will bleed back through the pump and the system will just keep cycling when it's on. A pressure release valve is also a good idea to have.

If you can get the inlet outlet lines from the pump that will save you some issues!!!!!!! Trust me when I say you're gonna want some of the highest temp rated hose you can get on the pump outlet!!!!!!!!!!!! A shop that makes hydraulic lines should be able to hook you up.

The other thing you're gonna need is an inlet air filter mounted before the oiler. I just use a cheapie aftermarket push on valve cover breather from the local Pep Boys, Autozone, etc...
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
schwalby

Thanks.

I am finding that a lot of the oilers and filters are only rated for the 130 degree range. I am guessing since my engine runs in the 210 range the engine bay gets above 130. I can check with the temp gun but does this make sense? Like you said I know Kurt runs an oiler and filter.
Josh Schwalb
84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984

Unread post by 84cj »

Check out this site: http://myweb.cableone.net/wdohrn/oba2.htm I used the set-up similar to the schematic found here: http://myweb.cableone.net/wdohrn/OBAschem3.gif

For the square D presure switch, (after much ado) I called Grainger and they took my order over the phone, all I had to do was pick it up at the local store. I found some fittings and a small tank from Kilby. Will post pic's sometime later in the week.

Curtis
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I have a pressure switch I salvaged from a 110v pancake unit, if someone wants it.

JW
schwalby

well I might be SOL. They pulled the pump off of an 2.0 and not a 2.4 so it was a wasted 2 hour drive round trip. They do have one PT Cruiser with the 2.4 but it must not be the same motor because on mine the missing bracket is on the upper left side of the motor where the PT cruiser AC is on the lower right.

I am thinking doing a motor swap at this point would be easier. :/
Josh Schwalb
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

If the brackets are the same for the 2.0 and your 2.4 maybe you can just get a rebuilt pump at a parts store and use the brackets you've got?

JW