exhaust laws and advice?

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

exhaust laws and advice?

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

OK with my long arms I had to chop off my exhaust behind the Cat. After this,my Banks exhaust was like a B-52 bomber on the road, so I went out to Pep boys and got a milder sounding exhaust. I bought a down tube and a 90 degree bend but only the 90 would fit and it more or less is aimed the exhaust at the rear passenger tire which isnt likley too good an idea... A few people that went with rock krawler LA kits have put in a shorty exhaust and a down pipe under the cat and called it a day. With my girls and 2 dogs this does not seem a great idea. Any idea what the law is for exhaust as I need to pass inspection and what a reasonable cost to expect to pay for a few pipe bends for a custom exhaust to pipe it out the back again?
thanks
Jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: exhaust laws and advice?

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

The exhaust needs to exit the rear of the passenger compartment or otherwise as intended from the factory (i.e. early Vett sidepipes, or F150's with exit near rr fenderwell). Mass General Law Ch90 section 19 may offer more detail.

Personally, I'd put the effort into installing a full exhaust just to be safe with the kids.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

ZAEDOCK wrote:
Personally, I'd put the effort into installing a full exhaust just to be safe with the kids.

X2. Any custom exhaust shop (like Lou's Custom Exhaust) could rig up something safe, legal and if you want a lil attitude, you can have that too
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I got the Lou's Custom Exhaust in Nashua to do a new exhaust on my XJ last year... They did a pretty nice job -- quiet and kept it tucked up really tight.

Was less expensive than I expected.

JW