Rise and shine (looking to lift)

You can talk about anything here
Alphalegionaire
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2017
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Rise and shine (looking to lift)

Unread post by Alphalegionaire »

Okay, chris f here. I’m still looking to lift my 2016 JKU sport S.
However I’m paranoid of invalidating my warranty at this point.
Does anyone know if 2” lift is tall enough to later upgrade to 35” tires?
Or does it make sense to lift 4” now but keep baby factory sport tires.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Rise and shine (looking to lift)

Unread post by RandyCarol »

2.5” should clear 35’s
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

If its a 2 door you can wheel well with the 2.5"on 35s , If its a 4 door and your gonna want to wheel harder than greens , Id go 4" and get tires later. Also keep in mind the evil inspection thing Ma. goes through , so dont be quick to sell the stock tires. FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

I am not versed as well on the JKU's thou there are plenty here that are. I would say decide what you want to wheel before you decide what your going to do. For some folks class 6 is all they want to do so they build for that, for others they want to be the biggest jeep at the mountain and not even have to think about going up it. There is your first real question to ask, and if your not sure come on out to some events and see if you want to run your jeep as is or see whats there and grab a passenger seat and decide what you want to do.

If its all about the looks for you, well then just take a look at the pics and see what you want to look like.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I have a 4 door JKU with a 2.5" lift and run 35s The rears rub on the fender flares occasionally but otherwise clear fine. Its at full stuff.

Don't forget to get skids to protect the underbelly as well, IMO that is the most improtant thing for a JKU as the brakeover is awful in these things compared to a TJ.

A 4" lift will make it hard to pass inspection in MA and looks awful with stock tires.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

What Jeff is saying is , He wheeled a TJ and now has the JKU. Breakover angle is when your front tires have gotten over something and are heading down but the rears havent cleared the top yet , there is the middle part dragging on rocks or what you climbed . Skids are needed at this point to save the important stuff. Then you have other decisions. Lift more , Tires , gears , lockers, and so the list begins. sit , have a beer and decide how hard you want to wheel. Then talk to as many JK guys and see what they did first and where they are now. Doing it in the right order saves money , time , and doing it twice. FjR68
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

I spent a lot of time looking at rigs and asking questions. Similar to you, I've got a JKU and started this season 100% stock. I found that a lot of guys run 2 1/2" lift and 35's. In my case, I decided to tone it down just a bit and bought some 295-70-17's and lifted the front 1.5" and the back an inch, both with spring spacers. Works well enough for me and squeeks through the MA requirements, although I'll throw the stock tires on just to not push it.
Blue Yeti

Unread post by Blue Yeti »

Good info here that I have taken notes on as this is what my next upgrade will be.
I have read a ton on lifting and all the add on & extras needed so I will look at a lot of JK's and ask a ton of questions.
Got some goodies in a cart on compare mode... will see what other members have done on similar rides.