Cool little shovel

Emoto
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Cool little shovel

Unread post by Emoto »

I wanted to pack a small shovel to bring on runs. I poked around here and there looking for an old GI Entrenching Tool, but the ones I found were kind of expensive, and there are now new types. All of them get mixed reviews. Found some posts in other forums about what people liked and didn't like.

I ended up getting this very simple one that a lot of people seem to like. At just about 20" long, it fits in the bin I keep all my stuff in, so will be there if I ever need it. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/18764 ... ood-handle

Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Re: Cool little shovel

Unread post by Hank »

Have you thrown it at any zombies yet, or defended yourself from a pig head on a post? ;) **warning: pig head dismemberment in video**

(I love Cold Steel product videos, they're 100% ridiculous)
-- Hank
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Ok your right that vid is ridiculous lol gotta love how its basically joe every guy until it comes to trying to dig with it haha.

Small shovels can be a help under a jeep or to help level, not sure we have had a need yet on the trail, but one never knows.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

I carry a shovel as well, I don't think it's made an appearance at a BSJ event, but it's definitely done enough to deserve its spot. Having used a fair few trenching tools, I don't care for them at all. They're handy, and small, but tend to be terrible at being a shovel. So I grabbed a slightly larger one: It's still small enough to ride in the Jeep 100% of the time, and for me the D handle makes all the difference in usability.

It lives on my tailgate
2018-09-11 15.07.12 copy.jpg
In the winter, or on the beach, I do carry a folding snow shovel to really move material around, because shoveling snow/sand with a spade is better than using your hands, but only by a little.
-- Hank
Emoto
BSJ Member

Unread post by Emoto »

Hank wrote:Have you thrown it at any zombies yet, or defended yourself from a pig head on a post? ;) **warning: pig head dismemberment in video**

(I love Cold Steel product videos, they're 100% ridiculous)
:-o Holy cr@p! I had not seen that before. :lol:
Emoto
BSJ Member

Unread post by Emoto »

Hank wrote:I carry a shovel as well, I don't think it's made an appearance at a BSJ event, but it's definitely done enough to deserve its spot. Having used a fair few trenching tools, I don't care for them at all. They're handy, and small, but tend to be terrible at being a shovel. So I grabbed a slightly larger one: It's still small enough to ride in the Jeep 100% of the time, and for me the D handle makes all the difference in usability.

It lives on my tailgate
2018-09-11 15.07.12 copy.jpg
In the winter, or on the beach, I do carry a folding snow shovel to really move material around, because shoveling snow/sand with a spade is better than using your hands, but only by a little.
That looks like a very nice shovel! :handgestures-thumbupright: