Antifreeze

nostaw

Re: Antifreeze

Unread post by nostaw »

Hmmm.... I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone proclaim the glory of any particular anti-freeze before. I have always used what ever the stuff at the parts store was.

The only special one I've heard of is Water Wetter, which is supposedly really good for cooling...

JW
Scott
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by Scott »

Some systems require the "long life" stuff do to the components in the system being aluminum or some other space aged metal.

My work truck, an 07 Freightliner, I got brand new in 06, about 6 months of use my heater core sprung a leak. I brought it to Ryder to get fixed and they said that the factory put the wrong antifreeze in it do to the type of metal the core was made of. :roll:

Also, use distilled water to cut the new antifreeze.

BTW, I have a gallon of dexcool in my garage I can't use in anything I have now... anybody want it?
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Id say whatever brand is on sale... What are the thoughts on a flushing of the coolant system waste of money Id guess?
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
norstar
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by norstar »

I don't know about you guys but my XJ uses green coolant and WJ uses orange (not green for sure). I don't want any corrosion or leaky seals so I prefer getting my coolants from the stealer....I mean dealer.
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

Check the owner's manual or service manual. Beyond that I go for mid-priced antifreeze at the store.

I think the Dexcool was designed to last 100k miles. I think there were some problems with clogging in cooling systems but not sure how big a deal it was.

-Andy
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

With what we do to our rigs, I cant believe you guys dont change it at least once a year. I dont care what the brand but maintain your cooling as you would your oiling system ! If its still fairly clean (color) Id just change it, if there is any darkness, flush it with a two part (acid/neutralizer) system and be done with it. 20-30 below. My opinion FjR68
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by schwalby »

About 4 or 5 years ago I had a small leak in my coolant lines for the 4Runner I just kept putting in the "enviromentally safe" stuff and never had an issue. Even after the leak was fixed I kept running it till the coolant was changed a year or so later. Of course now that I think of it the 4Runner is a Toyota so it runs forever and isn't as deligate as a Jeep anyways.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Jeep>Toyota
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

yup.

$$ Jeep > $$ Toyota :P
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
wesley4x4
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

my jeep uses green anti freeze :)
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!