Spare Belts for Trail Runs: What do I need?

MattJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Spare Belts for Trail Runs: What do I need?

Unread post by MattJ »

Apologies if this topic has been covered before - I searched "belts" on the forum and couldn't find an answer. I'm upgrading my trail kit based on the guide that Kurt handed out at the Jeep 101 session. Besides a spare serpentine belt, are there any other belts I should add to my emergency kit?
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Re: Spare Belts for Trail Runs: What do I need?

Unread post by JeepAddict »

One to keep your pants up? Dropping trow on a run could be embarrassing....
Chrome? Never heard of it.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

I thought that is why we kept some rope around....Just gotta redneck it once and a while.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

how many belts do you have on the jeep?
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have 2 belts on my CJ . Ive gone like forever and never gave it a thought . Two consecutive runs , one at a time they broke. Had changed them over the 15 yrs. but both times it sucked. I think the power steering belt was worse than the alt. belt. Hyd. assist and over size tires reminded me I havent been to a gym lately . Well , like in forever ! I have a spare for both. As for other spares , it depends on what kind / year rig you drive. One thing for sure with this group ---- you wont be left behind ! FjR68
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Thanks - so it sounds like I need to figure out how many belts the JKU has, and then carry a spare for each one? Or are some belts a universal size, so only need a couple extras? When I try to figure this out online, all of the search results point to pages about seat belts.

I already carry oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid and a u-joint press with me. I bought a pack of flares yesterday. There's a LOT of stuff on Kurt's list!

And yes, "rope" is on the list. Now I know why . . . :lol:
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Don't forget power steering fluid, gear lube, and blinker fluid. Have the u Joints too? or just the tool? All these are great to carry but if you don't have something to stop the reason there leaking ( unless of course you were upside down and the gear lube leak out all over you) there kind of a mute point to have. Should be checking all your fluids before each run anyways.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Yes - I do carry spare u-joints. I’ll add those additional items to Kurt’s list. A lot of the tools and gear that I carry are for the purpose of lending them to others who might need help with a trail recovery or repair. I figure it’s impossible to carry everything, but with enough BSJ members on a run together, we should have all the bases covered.

By the way, I found a group coupon for 50% off blinker fluid if I can get five other BSJ members to join the group buy. Any takers?
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Mine didnt come with Blinkers :) . Most late models only have one serpentine belt that powers everything. Find out if you jeep share u-joint size front and rear , then you only need to carry one. Ball joint , one upper , one lower. Things like that so you dont have a hundred things onboard. Then you need some kind of storage box for all the stuff as you dont want it flopping around . Bunjee cords stretch , Some kind of tiedown is better to hold it unless you bolt it in. Go wheelin , Have fun , worry later ! FjR68
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Thanks, Frank! I bought a serpentine belt for my kit. And I hope I never have to figure out how to install it. Kurt's list also includes "a bucket", so I decided to buy one of those 5-gallon buckets at Home Depot that I can fill with all this recovery and repair gear (flares, rope, fluids, etc). I have a bungie cargo net that holds everything down.
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Just my two cents but, much like recovery gear, I would think you may way to learn how to do the belt before you " need it". Its a pretty easy process and only takes a few min to release the tensioner and route the belt. You said you had the u joint press for so you can do the front axle joint. Do you have the 36mm socket for the axle nut? That may be worth investing in.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Here is a photo of the kit that I carry. It's a ball joint press with an extra u-joint. I don't know how to use it, but I figure that someday on a trail run someone will be glad that "some other guy had a ball joint press we could use". Then I can watch and learn how to use it. Part of what makes BSJ great is that none of us have to be expert at everything or carry every piece of recovery and repair gear since we all work together! As a newer member, I try to contribute by carrying as much of the recommended gear on Kurt's list as I can fit.

Looks like I need to spend another $160 to add spare ball joints to this kit, too!

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

A ball joint tool is pretty heavy. Even when I owned a shop, I found the hammer and socket method better for u-joints.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

might want to secure the caps on the ujoint, if cap comes off, bearings go everywhere, ujoint=useless.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Thanks - I only took it out of the packaging for the picture. When I did, I noticed it is also pre-lubricated, too!
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-