Always bring protection

You can talk about anything here
Alexmalo
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: J-Series Truck

Always bring protection

Unread post by Alexmalo »

So what are every one thoughts on skid plates. Are factory ones tough enough? I was going to take the cheap way out and take them off a Trailhawk version of my truck. Is that good enough? Or should I bite the bullet and get some real thick steel ones. Id rather spend the money now on under side protection, then pay for it later (in repairs)
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Always bring protection

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Are you going to be lifting it? If you're doing a small or no lift, I'd consider skid plates to be a decent investment. Is there anything underneath that you can relocate? Evap canister, steering stabilizer ?

I'm not sure what kind of trails you're looking to tackle but maybe before you buy anything maybe you could see how far you can go with what you have or ride with someone to see what you'd be comfortable doing? There is a ton of experience in this club and some really accomplished wheelers.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Alexmalo

Awesome thanks for your input. As far as a lift goes, I have lift springs which give me 1.7 front and 1.2 rear in combination with trail hawk struts (which in total lift me roughly .5 inch above a trail hawk with 16 inch rims) If I run the trail hawk 17 inch rim tire combo then you really notice how much taller then a stock renegade I really am. As for skid plates the main thing I'm concerned about is my plastic gas tank.
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Unread post by JeepAddict »

If the gas tank is exposed then I would say yes to a plate. On the JKs the skid plate holds up the fuel tank so every Wrangler comes off the line with a factory skid. The factory one isn't bad ( although I did have to weld a plate over a "ding" in mine).
Chrome? Never heard of it.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I'm stock height on 32"s but fully armored underneath. Still using the OEM Transfer and Gas skids as they are pretty stout, but added Transmission, Engine, EVap, and an HD Crossmember (3/4 inch, rather than the factory stamped steel). I'm getting sliders in another couple weeks. I'm a believer in Armor before Lift and tires, and Lockers before light bars crowd. Better to be fully protected and equipped, rather than the show.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I don't know of a company that makes heavy skids for a Renegade. Realistically, you'll be driving on dirt roads .5% of the time and it's not worth the weight and drivability penalty. Trailhawk skids would be fine for what you're looking to do.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Alexmalo

Awesome I appreciate the input
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I also thought this post was about something else.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

You read my mind Joe :) FjR68