What has Santa Brown delivered to you today?

BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: What has Santa Brown delivered to you today?

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Richl35 wrote:I like that mount! Easy access if you need it in a hurry.

BTW.. Brown Santa sends ME Xmas cards...
I figure if I mounted it in the back on the roll bars it's hard to get too. Where this mounts it, I can access before even getting out.

I'm surprised only Christmas Cards, That's one hell of a pile of parts, You probably put his kids through college...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

RichI35, is that the poison spyder bumper that requires the frame horns to be cut off? Did you get your EVO sport cage? Just installed mine and it was a little more involved than I thought but not too bad.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Richl35
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee

Unread post by Richl35 »

RandyCarol wrote:RichI35, is that the poison spyder bumper that requires the frame horns to be cut off? Did you get your EVO sport cage? Just installed mine and it was a little more involved than I thought but not too bad.

Yes, You cut the cross member off then trim the end of the frame. You can see in this pic what you have to trim.

And here is the crossmember that you weld in. I went with the trailer hitch as I use an hitch mounted carrier.

I look forward to finishing up the install. The crossmember has been welded in and the bumper had been previously fitted. Took it apart to powdercoat and just got it back. Same with the tire carrier.

I have not received my cage yet. EVO has just started this week shipping the 07 - 10 cages so any time now. What did you find "more involved" with the install?
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I almost went with that bumper but didn’t want to cut the frame at the time, now I would.

Mostly making sure the A-pillars are in the right spot, if not everything won’t line up right. Measure twice, drill once. I thought I could get it in in 2-3 hours (that’s usually what I have for garage time lately) but it took over twice that. Might have gone quicker if I got it done in one shot instead of stopping in the middle. After fitting everything I pulled it out to paint the white (jeep is white) spots that showed around the windshield and factory roll bars black to match the sport cage, the black on white looked too unfinished for me.
Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you, should be fun!
Last edited by RandyCarol on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

RandyCarol wrote:I almost went with that bumper but didn’t want to cut the frame at the time, now I would.

Mostly making sure the A-pillars are in the right spot, if not everything won’t line up right. Measure twice, drill once. I thought I could get it in in 2-3 hours (that’s usually what I have for garage time lately) but it took over twice that. Might have gone quicker if I got it done in one shot instead of stopping in the middle. After fitting everything I pulled it out to paint the white (jump is white) spots that showed around the windshield and factory roll bars black to match the sport cage, the black on white looked too unfinished for me.
Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you, should be fun!

I love working on my Jeep (as most do I am sure) but I am lucky to have a big workshop. My shop is a 45 x 55 ft space that I have filled with equipment so there is no rush or need to move it. When it's done it's done. And if I have to do something I have most every fab tool that you could need. Hydraulic tubing benders, Bridgeport mill and a Southbend lathe, saws, welders, presses, sheetmetal shear and brake, etc, etc, etc.. We have a lot of fun putting stuff together! If I could only make some money at it now.... :banana-guitar:
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

You guys must be rich or without kids ! I have to take pictures of cool stuff and go out into the shop and make it ! FjR68
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Frank wrote:You guys must be rich or without kids ! I have to take pictures of cool stuff and go out into the shop and make it ! FjR68

I do make a bunch of stuff but sometimes you can't buy material for what you can buy the parts for. Or it's so close it isn't worth the time. I work a TON and it's hard to get the time in the shop to design and build a lot from scratch when
my wife has my daughter calling me to tell me she misses me..

For example of stuff I build here is...

Some steering.

A bumper

Rock Rails with custom laser cut engraving

Made these panels to mod up a set of tube doors

I have also done custom roll cages, roof racks, XJ long arm suspensions, and a million brackets and thing-a-ma-bobs...

I love it but it's always a buddy or friend. It never pays the bills!
Last edited by Richl35 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Very nice! I'd love to seek out your help making some Upper and lower control arms, and steering arms at one point. Been looking for a shop to make, but I'd much more prefer to make them on my own (with likely a lot of help :lol: ).
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Oh, PS>> This just showed today...

Just waiting on the Drake Jeep JK Seat Mounting bracket to install to the jeep.
--
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

BlackKnight wrote:Very nice! I'd love to seek out your help making some Upper and lower control arms, and steering arms at one point. Been looking for a shop to make, but I'd much more prefer to make them on my own (with likely a lot of help :lol: ).
Oh, This sounds way too familiar... Hahaha
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

I'm sure you hear that from all the people :lol:
--
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Dude :( Copy right infringement on the rock rails. In the 60s , yes thats not a misprint , 60s , there was a Rare Earth band and Im telling ! FjR68
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Frank wrote:Dude :( Copy right infringement on the rock rails. In the 60s , yes thats not a misprint , 60s , there was a Rare Earth band and Im telling ! FjR68

I know... I'm a Huge Fan! I thought the rails would of made that obvious... Hahaha..
Mikmaq
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Mikmaq »

Delivery Santa will be dropping off armor, lube lockers, and a relocation bracket to me at the end of the week.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.....
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Mikmaq wrote:Delivery Santa will be dropping off armor, lube lockers, and a relocation bracket to me at the end of the week.
Cool, Which Dif Covers you going with?
--