Fire Extinguishers and Mounts?

Emoto
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Fire Extinguishers and Mounts?

Unread post by Emoto »

I tried searching, but failed to find a thread on this. We need to all have a fire extinguisher in order to participate in group runs, unless I am mistaken.

Do we have any favorite extinguisher and mount combos that we like? I love the idea of having a fire extinguisher in the Jeep, but if you guys have already figured out what works really well, I hate to re-invent the wheel.

I'm thinking that mounting one to the roll cage somewhere (stock JKU) would be ideal. What have you folks tried and what has worked out well?

Thanks!

Bob
Last edited by Emoto on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikmaq
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2015

Re: Fire Extinguishers and Mounts?

Unread post by Mikmaq »

Just chiming in here because I am in the fire service. At a bare minimum the extinguisher should be rated Class A and B (ordinary combustibles and flammable liquids). These can be found at any hardware store (Ace, HD, Lowes) or you can purchase a Class A, B, and C extinguisher because they are the most commonly sold. Fire class C is for electrical fires. The agent will either come as a foamy type liquid or a powder (powder is the most common). Kidde is a solid brand that is also UL tested. Hope this helps.

As far as size and mounting I will defer to the more experienced Jeepers here.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.....
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Most basic Kidde units come with a mounting bracket. One option to mount it to the roll bar is to use a pair of stainless hose clamps. You can drill a hole in each clamp and then bolt the clamps to the extinguishers mounting bracket. Be sure to "smartly" position the holes in the stainless clamps. Then tighten the camps to your chosen mounting location.
You want to have it in an easy to find, convenient position.
I experienced a non-Jeep engine fire a number of years ago. A ready to go fire extinguisher is invaluable.

A note to all members with fire extinguishers. The fire fighting agent (power) inside the extinguisher will settle and compact due to your rigs vibration. Same true for household fire extinguishers. At least annually everyone should remove the extinguisher from the rig and invert it and tap the side of it with a rubber mallet. Keep tapping and inverting until you can feel the powder smoothly flow from one end of the cylinder to the other.
Also check the gauge to verify the pressure is in the "good" zone.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

That's great advice. Thanks Kurt !
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

Since ABC is commonly available anyway I'd include the C. The last fire I saw (about a year or two ago) was an electrical fire. It was quickly extinguished, the offending electrical short taken care of, and the Jeep continued on to enjoy the day. Without the extinguisher that minor inconvenience could have been at totaled Jeep. Definitely worth the investment!
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Mine is similar to this one, its just attaches to a roll bar with Velcro and then the fire extinguisher is velcroed in, the one thing I liked about the one I got (and similarly this one) over others was that it has a bottom strap to keep the extinguisher from sliding out the bottom.

Under $10
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

I have a 10lb one in a mount right inside my tail gate. It holds it very tight and is readily accessible. Not exactly a budget set up but I like it.

Chrome? Never heard of it.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Was going with the Drake mount under the front of the driver's seat for mine. Still may, but it's cost prohibitive ($120 inc Extinguisher).
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars