help need advice on a project

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

help need advice on a project

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Hey Guys
I swang by Lous to get my new combo u-joints and was talking with him about my upcoming project and he has me questioning myself. I bought a pair of Rubi d44 axles off of Tony/Heyzipyourfly over at the NEOW forum. I checked the axles out pulled the diff cover looked at the R&P, everyting is tight and the teeth are clean, no metal debris in the diff fluid and the lockers engaged fine etc. everything was staright and there was no evidence of bad seals etrc. So im not worried about the axles themselves. The issue is that the rear has been trussed for a Rock Krawler long arm kit and the front has had the regular TJ mounts removed in prep for him to put in long arms. Tony has offered as part of the deal to install the long arms onto my heap. this is where lou has concerns as he feels that of the installs he has seen only 2/10 seem to be done right if not done by someone doing this.

Tony works for Precison Motor Werks in Marblehead and has done suspension for formula 5000 race cars and the likes and is comfortable taking on the project and willing to let me have it inspected by someone like Lou to say that its done properly. Am I crazy to have this work done? would I be better off grabbing the axles as is and havign someone (a drive line shop) weld on the original brackets and not doing a long arms? the price is very attractive for the full front/rear long arms and he seems to know his chit, but Lou had a bad feeling about the whole thing. I didnt have specifics for Tonys work at PMW when talkig to Lou which may have made a differnece. Thoughts on what I should do and any ways to protecet myself?
thanks
Jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: help need advice on a project

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

If you feel that he's qualified, DO IT! If you still have questions then tell him that you want to have Lou inspect it before you pay. Or just get the hardware and have Lou do it. Just make sure that you think about all the little things like brake lines, bump stops, SYE, drive shafts, etc.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I wouldn't say you're crazy, but you did pick an interesting project to take on.

I think Tim hit it pretty square... Have you asked this guy how much experience he has with modified Jeep suspensions? Obviously, he feels that he could do it himself (I don't know the guy from Adam, so I won't say otherwise), but you have to live with and / or pay for it if he is wrong...

Kind of a tough call...

JW
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Yeah I wasn't looking for long arms per se just a d44 The work on the backs 44 already Been done so it's less work for him to put in the long arms. It's basically a rock krawler kit at a rough country price. This also takes care of regearing from 3.07s and locks me front and rear. Tough to pass on but I want to make sure this doesn't throw red flaggs to everyone...

Thanks for the replies Tim and Jon!
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

It isnt really a difficult job. I think it revolves around the lift (how high) your going. You might not need the long arms. In my opinion , Its so much better than a lifted shortarm. If he knows how to weld , and can measure well, have it done. You will never look back ! FjR68
smileyfish
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by smileyfish »

fortyfour wrote:If you feel that he's qualified, DO IT! If you still have questions then tell him that you want to have Lou inspect it before you pay. Or just get the hardware and have Lou do it. Just make sure that you think about all the little things like brake lines, bump stops, SYE, drive shafts, etc.
x3