You can talk about anything here
MtMan
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2017
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

CB Radio Recommenations

Unread post by MtMan »

Hello Forum Members,

I am new to Baystate Jeepers and will need to install a CD Radio in my 2017 JKUR. I am curious what you guys are using for CB radios? I saw a few others posts about antenna placement and radio mounting but but how about the actual CB radio itself. Any thoughts on the Cobra 75 WX ST? I'm hoping to install one before Jeep 101 in April....

Thanks,
Brad
MtMan
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Re: CB Radio Recommenations

Unread post by KenCal »

Welcome Brad. If you look at Product Reviews in the Forum Home you might find some idea's of what others are using. I personally use the Corbra HH 38WXST. I like it because being a hand held I can take it with me when I get out to help. Ken
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

I have the Cobra 75 and am quite happy with it. It's compact and works well. At first, I used a 3mm cord to go from the box hidden behind the glove box and ran it into the Aux. jack on the face of the radio to amplify the sound. Then I realized that on some class vi trails it gets boring with no radio and decided to install a Uniden Bearcat amplified external speaker on the sport bar to be able to listen to the radio at the same time as getting great sound on the CB.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Really, its up to what you want out of it, have seen a lot of diff radios out thereon the trails. From hand held all in one units to old school large radios. Really up to you.

As in most of the trails we will not be too far away in respect to the ability of CB radios, its more about the antenna than anything. Get a decent antenna and get it as high as you can to be able to get the best range.

If you think you will be trailing regularly a remote speaker might come in handy and be able to allow you to hear a bit better, but might not be a requirement for you.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I use a Radio Shack model , its small and is mounted over head / center under the roll cage with a 4" external speaker also mounted to the cage. Like most have said , its preference as to what you like. On the trail no one has issues reaching the car in front or behind . Some mount them on a slider bracket that will allow it to be used in your other vehicles or just removed as you know how some people are. A lot of info out there on reliability and where to put the antenna to make the best of what you bought. After installation , you will need to have the antenna tuned (swr) thats done with a gauge that one of us has and can do for you. Good luck in your choice. FjR68
Fcgeek
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Fcgeek »

I have a Cobra 75 and it works fine for the trails and its compact. Its also easy to remove when not in use and no need to drill into your new interior.
2004 TJ Rubicon (Hooptie) Kick A$$ Grill