$&@?!?"$ Engine

Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: $&@?!?"$ Engine

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Sorry Jeff, looking to "reset" the odometer with a complete rebuild. Since everything is out it makes sense right now.

So my options are:

#1: Replace broken components + new rings. Few hundred and I'm done.
#2: Bring the block and head to Golen to have them machine, hone, etc and reassemble with mostly stock components. $1-$2k
#3: Buy a complete stroker from Golen with warranty. $4300.

Any other good options out there? Trying to weight $ and value. I'd like this to be the last engine work I have to do for a very, very long time so I'd like to do it right. Not looking for any exotic swaps as I don't want to start moving mounts. 4.0 or stroked 4.0.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Baseshakers wrote:Sorry Jeff, looking to "reset" the odometer with a complete rebuild. Since everything is out it makes sense right now.

So my options are:

#3: Buy a complete stroker from Golen with warranty. $4300.

This above if you don't want to go LS1.... :bluesbros:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Baseshakers wrote:...Any other good options out there? ...
Another option is to get a 4.0 from a recycling yard. They usually come with a guarantee.
I've picked up a couple of used engines from Bow Autoparts and have been very happy with their stuff.
Check out www.car-part.com. I see ones for your rig going for $800-$1,000.

Just another option to consider.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Baseshakers wrote:Sorry Jeff, looking to "reset" the odometer with a complete rebuild. Since everything is out it makes sense right now.

also the engine is being traded to Ray for a 5.3 for my 71 Jeepster. 8-) He needed a new I6 for Lisa's YJ and I need the old i6 AX15, and NP231 out of my yard. :lol: It works out well as its the perfect plant for the 71 Jeepster which needed an engine when I bought it. :music-rockout:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Im sooo excited shes gonna get fixed. Just one question ? If your leaning toward Golen , Ask them which crank they use. The 4.2s had 12 weight cranks that make killer low RPM torque , like mine. Not the best MPGs but wont usually stall. The latter 4.2s had 6 weight and latest had 4 weight cranks. Makes quicker and higher revs, more MPGs and more suitable to the street unless you have three ranges in a gearbox behind a gearbox with 5 speeds. Just throwin that out there. The other thing is , 4 guys I know that bought complete Golens ,had bottom end issues. Not sayin they werent the issue (the kids) to begin with. Good luck with the build. IMO , I had mine Boiled,decked,bored,cam bearings (block) Head boiled,decked,Valve seat area milled (per Clifford) Guides. Then I took them home and did the assembly and breakin. 14 hondos and change. With the Clifford parts it 270 HP and 360 lb/ft at a magical 3300 RPMs. Thats a build for 4 wheelin ! GiterDone ! FjR68
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Franky! Thanks for the info. Curious, can you find out more about the issues with the Golen engines? If I'm thinking about spending that kind of coin I need to know exactly what I'm getting myself into. Golen offers a warranty but knowing my luck the engine would blow the day after the warranty ran out.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
95xj
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by 95xj »

Hey Ryan. Saw your posts. I've read that stroked Golen engines require pmc modifications and/or larger injectors...PIA. If you are geared correctly, and I know you are, go stocker rebuild with a better cam for the stuff you do. Maybe a set of Banks headers to top it off. That's my 2 cents anyways.
Take care.
DM
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Dennis is on the same page as me . Only my opinion Ryan. Call clifford Performance and he will probably answer the phone. Talk to him about what we do , what you want to do, and get a price. The only part of his engine build I dont have is his header . Listen to Curtis"s Jeep. Youd swear his is a V-8. I just didnt have the other 400 buks at the time. Other than gas mileage , Mine feels like a V-8, torque wise. All stock components (different years) in the bottom end, and stupid me spent money on a high port 4.0 head when he could have made the stock head breath just as good and all my components would have fit back on. I cant say enough about his approach to improvements but you have to make the decision . Everything Ive read about Golan is good . Like power , torque, improved road manners. Ive just never read how it was doing after time on the road and wheelin. The magazines just never gave you long term results. I only know 4 dudes that bought them ,2 wranglers and 2 Grands and all of them were driven hard , but all of them failed in the bottom end. Im not sure you needed to change injectors and or flash the ECM , But Id do forum research first. Have the machine work done thats required, Buy all the parts , give me a call , I will assemble the engine for you in 3 hours ! GiterDone ! FjR68