Anyone familiar with LCG builds on TJs?

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Anyone familiar with LCG builds on TJs?

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Hi all
As a lot of you know I got a 03 Rubi that I am picking up today. I plan to run 35s on it with MCE Flexible flares in the front and as little lift as possible. I know that JK springs net an inch or 2 for a TJ. Anyone know if stock control arms will still work with JK springs?

Plan is to do some quick minor upgrades like the winch and front bumper off of my 97 this week and then likely after CFAC I will swap the red front fenders on that are high-lined. Mount the 35s and see what else I need to do to finish up this season. Tear into it some this winter to get the cage moved over and other goodies off of my old TJ which was rapped and murdered by Nicholas Szlieger of Fall River.... I'm close to declaring open season on him now that I'm feeling better. :evil:

This is a shot from one of the last runs I took the 97 Jeep on...

1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Anyone familiar with LCG builds on TJs?

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

The control arms should have any problem with any springs you manage to fit in the stock spring perches. For the most part, stock-ish length control arms are good up to 3-4" lift. I'm currently running a 3" short arm lift, body lift and my 33's fit quite nice. High fenders and a little trimming I could probably get 35's with little else.

I'm not sure I'd go for the stock JK springs as there are many other options for springs out there already. Run the right shock and you'll do fine.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I got some stock rubicon springs and shocks from my jk if you want them
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

What do you want to know? I've kept my rig relatively low and have worked through the issues building TJs/LJs... and broken a lot of parts in the process.

Are you planning turning it into your primary wheeling rig? Stock control arms won't last long, and they limit flex. What's the build plan long term?
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I don't think this will be a primary wheeler, I'm building the 71 Jeepster for that. I need something to scratch my itch for wheeling until that rig is built. I want the TJ to stay as stock as possible while clearing 35s. Debating transferring the tub from my 97 over to this frame but not sure it will mate up easily enough to make it worth it. May move the cage and armor to this Jeep and the clearanced front fenders and call it good. It does have the "shovel" skid plate. I'm not sure my 97 TJ belly up skid survived going under the knife by the f-tard that wrecked the Jeep. Minimal it needs to be reinforced but he may have inexpertly narrowed it too...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..