Rubicon Transfer case

KevinP
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Rubicon Transfer case

Unread post by KevinP »

Need info on Transfer case swap. Looking for direct bolt in and want to know what year Rubicon 4:1 will fit behind an ax-15 ? Will 4:1 from a 6 speed fit my ax-15? What other changes would be required? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Re: Rubicon Transfer case

Unread post by Kurt »

The following is based upon swapping in ~2004 rubi tcases into my 1992 YJ & 1997 TJ.

Since the tcase is larger in diameter than the stock one your may need to modify the tranny mount to allow the tranny to sit closer to the skid. For one of my rigs I cut a section out of the tranny mount and re-welded it back together to create a low profile mount. Low Pro makes a low profile mount if you don't want to modify yours.

To fit it you may have to use a BFH and modify a bit of the tub sheet metal to make clearance too.

To use your existing driveshafts you'll need to swap out the rubi front & rear tcase yokes/flange and put in 1310 CV yokes assuming your shafts are 1310 joints. They ran about $75 each.

To make the speedometer work I had to build a tiny power adapter.
The rubi speed sensor works off of 5 volts. The YJ system works off of ~8.5 volts. Need to step down the 8.5 volts from the YJ to 5 volts to power the rubi speed sensor. Actually a very simple thing to build. About $5 in parts. It was an LM7805 voltage regulator and a couple of small capacitors. I just encased it in RTV and zip tied it to the wire harness near the speedo sensor.
You'll need to cut the plug(s) off the wire harness and/or to use the rubi speed sensor.

To make the 4WD indicator light work on your dash you'll need to replace the rubi's variable sensor with a switch.
See... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/np241 ... ed-651308/

The 4WD shifter will work backwards due to the YJ linkage. All the way forward is 4LO and all the way back is 2HI. I actually like it that way so the shifter is forward and out of the way while wheeling.

You may want to consider putting a new chain in whatever rubi tcase you get. They wear and get slack in them over time. When I first put the rubi case in my YJ and tried it in 4WD the chain would slip under heavy load. It cost about $100 at the time.

I don't have any info on if one from behind a 6 speed will fit your AX-15.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

from what I understand you want to stay away from the JK version as its significantly different from the TJ style. If you get one out of a TJ it should be straightforward along with what Kurt said above.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
KevinP

Unread post by KevinP »

Technically That doesnt seem that complicated but would it be easier to just swap my chain and add a Tera Low kit to my existing T case? The cost isnt a huge issue but I was hoping for easy bolt in. I was even contemplating the Atlas 4:1 or 5:1. I have so much going on, the easier the better.
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

I'd recommend AGAINST going the TeraLow route. They have always had issues with the system failing and breaking. They are very sensitive to being over reved too. Another club member had one in his YJ. He was VERY careful with it and it still failed. He ended up going Atlas after that.
BSJ Treasurer 2020
KevinP

Unread post by KevinP »

Thanks for the advice, it is always greatly appreciated. So now I have to do some thinking on this.
My speedo doesnt work anyway.
I dont mind using a BFH.
The yokes im not sure about.
The backwards shifter is no problem.
My biggest concern of all this is the bolts on the stock belly pan. Ill have to check into used T-cases and decide if that or the Atlas makes more sense for me. I was hoping to get it done before Rauch but we'll see. :?
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

KevinP wrote:...My biggest concern of all this is the bolts on the stock belly pan....
I assume you mean the six 1/2" bolts that secure the skid to the frame rails.
Suggestion... drill 1/8" hole in the side of the frame rail next to each bolt about 3/4 to 1" up from the bottom of the frame rail. Then liberally apply PB by sticking the PB straw thru each hole to squirt PB on the bolt threads and nuts inside the frame. Start this a few days in advance of dropping the skid. Apply some each day.
Works like a charm to prevent having a "spinner" inside the frame rail. Never had one spin by doing this.

JB Conversions sells yokes that will work.
BSJ Treasurer 2020
KevinP

Unread post by KevinP »

Great Idea, Ill do that this afternoon. Thanks Kurt. :handgestures-thumbupright: