New Jeep owner

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Jeeper1776
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

New Jeep owner

Unread post by Jeeper1776 »

Hello, my names John I recently bought a 98 jeep wrangler SE. I have been interested in jeeps my whole life but I was finally able to buy one. She needs a little TLC but everything worth doing needs a little TLC. I don't know much about the jeep as the previous owner didn't know much either. But what I can tell you is that she has 29.5" All terrain tires. But I will be adding a 4 inch suspension lift and some 35s as soon As I get the the time and money. I will also be adding new bumpers and a few other cosmetic things in the future but first I must have the floor pans redone. Anyway I hope to catch up with some of you in the future also I'm from Florida but I live in winchendon MA. I have been off-road before but never got into any of the good stuff as I was usually on my own. Here's my Harper Image
Last edited by Jeeper1776 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: New Jeep owner

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Welcome, Jeeper1776. Nice looking rig. Please consider joining the club with an app and dues being paid. We have a lot of runs in the works that I think you'll enjoy. The next one is this weekend.
Jeeper1776

Thanks Ralph, I'm considering joining. However I have to get the jeep license and I have to get it to pass inspection. After which I will more than likely join.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

Unread post by ASauer17 »

Welcome! Join us for some legal wheeling ;)
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Jeeper1776

Thanks Amanda, I look forward to some wheeling in the future.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Welllllll , You cant say we didnt worn ya. JustEmptyEveryPocket . Dont forget skids and a gear change for them 35s. Is this a 6 I hope ? Hows the frame on this TJ , they all have issues , some worse than others. We have a lot of stockish Jeeps in the club. They run class 6 roads in the area were wheelin. Youd fit in till you wanted to try harder stuff. I have a slightly modified 74 CJ-5 , Her name is Mona , check the avatar . Still aint done with her yet ! 14 yrs. and building . Join the club and we will hook you up with nothing but fun . FjR68
Jeeper1776

Thanks for the tip Frank, the frame is solid considering her year. She's going into the shop to fix the holes in the floor and on the passenger rocker panel, other than that and needing some work here and there Harper is pretty solid. I went and got a quote to get a rough country long arm 4" suspension kit and lockers installed it's gonna cost me a pretty penny so it's probably going to be a while before I can get those 35s on so for right now I think she's going to be running with what she has already. I have been looking at new bumpers and small things here and there but I'm a little concerned considering this is my daily driver and she only has a 2.5l 4 banger. Other than. That though she pulls strong.
Jeeper1776

I'm guessing it will be cheaper for me to install the lift myself everywhere I look it will cost me close to 3k to get the lift installed... My only problem is I have no clue where to begin with the lift... It will be a while before I get the lift but still
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Long arm lifts will be quite a bit more work due to necessary welding and whatnot. Short arm lifts up to 3-4" are pretty good. I'm running a 3" short arm lift with most components being Teraflex. I always recommend people new to the jeep life to experience the jeep stock, wheel it as is, then as you increase your skills, build the jeep accordingly. I and Ralph started wheeling ours stock and then progressed to underbody protection, then lifted. I just recently went to 33's on my TJ and believe that will be adequate for most of the stuff I intend on doing with it. Join the club and come out with us, even as a passenger it is a blast. Get to watch other people break their jeeps, and get a good understanding what mods are useful and which aren't.

In the end, build the jeep you want, no one else's.

Welcome to the nut house!
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

It will be most critical for a gear change with even slightly bigger tires with the 4 banger. What Ish said . Join the club , give a class 6 rd a shot . You will see what comes next and is needed as you grow with your Jeep. Once a member you can request a wrench fest . Where a member or a couple members with items to be installed get together and have at it. A short arm lift is 4/5 hrs , while a long arm is most or all of the weekend. With the people and families we have in the club , there isnt much we dont already know about Jeeps and how to fix-em . FjR68
Jeeper1776

Thanks again Frank, how do I send in my dues?
Jeeper1776

Never mind I figured it out I'll take care of my dues next payday.