Electrical Newbie

Nonestar
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2015
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Electrical Newbie

Unread post by Nonestar »

All,

This year I would like to wire a switch panel on the windshield of my 2015 JK. I intend to wire the four switches to power and to "tie them off" to be easily accessed through the driver's side dashboard panel as I expand my powered devices (that is, I don't have four powered devices yet).

However, I have never done any car electrical work before. I'd appreciate any advice and tips you might have, particularly regarding techniques, web sites, tools, and equipment I should keep in mind.

Thanks in advance!
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Electrical Newbie

Unread post by Kurt »

Hmmm... a lot to consider. A few pointers and things to consider before doing any wiring.

- Fuse's. Very important to be included for electrical protection
- Where do you anticipate the devices being located? Inside the Jeep cabin or outside such as driving lights.
- What's the highest amount of current each device will need? This drives power source, fuse selection, wire size, wire length, switch selection and possibly relay selection.
- Do you want the devices to be powered only when the ignition switch is ON or do you want them to be powered even if the key is OFF.
- Do you want indicator lights to show if a given switch is ON? Can be integrated into the switch or and external led indicator.

Relays will be needed if you might be powering stuff that needs some moderate to high current.
Using relays will also allow you to use small switch's for a compact switch panel instead of big honkin high current switch's. Also allows for running small gauge (diameter) wire from the switch's to/from the relays.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Here's a thread on ENH that I started awhile back as I began to install my Viair compressor in the engine bay. It has a lot of information in it that applies to a great deal of automotive electrical work. This particular thread is a redacted version of the original that can also easily be accessed from a link in the very first post. The moderator felt it contained enough solid information in it that they made it a sticky.

http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthrea ... 2551#post1
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Look into spod pricey but by time you wire it all right with switches relays etc. It's not much more and nice clean setup. Couple other companies make setups too
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi