Driveshaft Wrenchfest

RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Driveshaft Wrenchfest

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

I received notice from UPS that my new front driveshaft is due to be delivered this Tuesday and I could, once again, use some assistance with the install. From an install video here:

http://www.jk-adventure.com/JKA/content ... riveshafts

. . . it doesn't seem nearly as time consuming as my last request for help. I'm guessing 1-2 hours(?). Maybe those who installed the driveshaft on the Folded Flag Jeep recently could chime in and provide a better time frame.

As for tools, what TW says "You should have available for possible use; an impact wrench capable of delivering 180 LB/FT torque. Box end wrenches of the following sizes 1/2”, 7/16” & 18MM along with a 1-1/4” socket and torque wrench." I have the box wrenches, but not the impact wrench, 1-1/4” socket or torque wrench.

If you have the time, tools and willingness to help me, please let me know.And, as always, thank you.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Driveshaft Wrenchfest

Unread post by Kurt »

When we did the Tributes shafts yesterday it went just as shown in the video.
Pretty simple. Yup 1-2 hours would be a good timeframe. It was a bit easier doing on a lift.
It wIll be a bit more tedious if done on the ground on a creeper.
One correction you need an 8 mm socket to remove the bolts holding the current drive shaft to the tcase flange.
We used a 3 jaw puller to remove the old yokes and flange per the instructions instead of hammering them off as shown in the video.
I think we also used a 1 1/8" socket too. The diff and the tcase uses slightly different size nuts to secure the new yokes & flanges. IIRC one is SAE the other Metric.
Your new DS will include 3 large nuts. Two the same and one different. One of the three isn't used.
The new nuts get torqued to 160 ft-lbs. Right Josh... :lol:

I have the sockets, gun & torque wrench.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Agree on a lift making it easier, especially with your rig having the engine skid. Did those rounded / shaved bolt heads on the skid ever get taken care of? Probably not a 3 man job but I might hep if other stuff is added to your list
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

Torque wrench is only needed in case Kurt sneezes and cranks it down to 300lb+

Don't forget also to pick up some sealant and lock tite.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
RalphTomaccio

Kurt wrote:When we did the Tributes shafts yesterday it went just as shown in the video.
Pretty simple. Yup 1-2 hours would be a good timeframe. It was a bit easier doing on a lift.
It wIll be a bit more tedious if done on the ground on a creeper.
One correction you need an 8 mm socket to remove the bolts holding the current drive shaft to the tcase flange.
We used a 3 jaw puller to remove the old yokes and flange per the instructions instead of hammering them off as shown in the video.
I think we also used a 1 1/8" socket too. The diff and the tcase uses slightly different size nuts to secure the new yokes & flanges. IIRC one is SAE the other Metric.
Your new DS will include 3 large nuts. Two the same and one different. One of the three isn't used.
The new nuts get torqued to 160 ft-lbs. Right Josh... :lol:

I have the sockets, gun & torque wrench.
And there's Kurt again. Always willing to offer a hand and tools. Thank you. What would BSJ be without you!

I can't even imagine asking to use Wayne's garage again. He, too, has been very good about our visits. I can see where a lift in this case would be very helpful.
Carl McFly wrote:Agree on a lift making it easier, especially with your rig having the engine skid. Did those rounded / shaved bolt heads on the skid ever get taken care of? Probably not a 3 man job but I might hep if other stuff is added to your list
The bolt heads were fine. The head protectors were the issue. I cleaned them up with a Dremel tool and the 9903 bit that Kurt recommended and the bolts came right out.
schwalby wrote:Torque wrench is only needed in case Kurt sneezes and cranks it down to 300lb+

Don't forget also to pick up some sealant and lock tite.
I've got the Lock-Tight (red). As for the sealant, are you referring to silicone sealant? Will any kind do or is there a special type for this type stuff?
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

They used a generic one in the video so I did too. Home Depot had an automotive / marine one in the paint department.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Yup - RTV sealant. Nothing special. I have some if you don't want to buy a tube of it.

If you want we can do it in my garage. No fancy schmancy lift but I do have ramps, jacks and jack stands.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by ASauer17 »

I took 3 hours to do it. But that was just myself in my condo parking lot before I joined BSJ. I have a TW and the directions were easy to follow.
I used RTV as I was familiar with using that at work!
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
RalphTomaccio

Kurt wrote:Yup - RTV sealant. Nothing special. I have some if you don't want to buy a tube of it.

If you want we can do it in my garage. No fancy schmancy lift but I do have ramps, jacks and jack stands.
The man in the brown truck just delivered the new driveshaft!

Kurt, if you're still open to lending a hand and feel it's feasible doing this without a lift, let's set-up a time that works for both of us. Like you, I'm retired and time is pretty flexible and I'm more than willing to travel up to your place. Are you still at 10 West St?