Track Bah binding

del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Track Bah binding

Unread post by del_TJ »

A couple of Rausch trips ago, the spherical joint stud on my track bar snapped and I assume it was because the front track bar binds. It already had a hairline crack for a while. I pulled the springs yesterday, and there’s binding on the passenger side at full droop, even when I loosen the jam nut on the axle side. After removing the track bar, I can get full droop. The binding appears to be lateral in the mount (front to back) and it's not hitting the top of the mount. This is the BDS track bar.
BDS_Jeep_TJ.jpg
To fix this, I bought a weldable Ballistic Fab joint to replace the spherical stud and go to a double shear setup. This would let me move the frame side mount to align the track bar better. I also bought an axle side bracket so that I can reposition that mount too. But after looking at it for a while, I began wondering if a double shear setup like this will bind as well…

Will going to double shear solve the binding or will I need spherical joints on both ends of the track bar to get full suspension travel? I'm running 12” travel shocks and JKS arms (the kind that rotate). Any input would be appreciated!
del_TJ

Re: Track Bah binding

Unread post by del_TJ »

Cycled the suspension some more and it turns out that it's hitting the top of the axle mount before fulling extending the shock. I assume the best option is to clearance and weld in a new axle bracket...
Track.jpg
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

Cut the stock mounts out. Need to modify and fit the beefier track bar mount to accept suspension full flex.
IMG_1033.jpg
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Nice!
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

Well that was fun :shock:
IMG_1060.jpg
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I see you cut off the frame mount also. Wouldnt lowering that mount give you the needed room on the lower axle side ? 1" or 1.5" square stock in between the frame mount and the frame. Just sayin . I have no experience with trac bars on leaf springs and CJs never had them , just seams that would be a solution . FjR68
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

Frank, if I lower it any then the bar will hit the diff cover. I’d also have to install a drop pitman arm to compensate and prevent bump steer, and then the drag link may bang things with the short lift I have. The plan is to go double shear and use a frame mount that leaves the pivot point at the same height as stock.