Steering System

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Steering System

Unread post by Frank »

I just ordered a high PSI pump from PSC . SHhhhhhh ! Its a surprise . I also got a new 10x1 steering box , Hydro Boost brake setup. Question ------ Any one do their own ram for hydro assist ? Where did you get the ram , how much throw , piston size ? Ive look at Red neck ram Co. in Texas . Seam to be reasonable but I dont need everything they have in the kit. Didnt know if maybe Tractor supply or a plow ram or log splitter would have what I need for the ram. Would only need single side as its only assist . INPUT ! Thanks FjR68
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Re: Steering System

Unread post by Frank »

Any one drill their own box ? It looks pretty straight forward. FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

I thought about it when I did my system but chose to buy the PSC box instead of drilling mine.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

So anyway , This again is a little more in depth than I first thought . To see the kits offered for 17/1800 dollars , Im thinking they are on crack. You can buy the major parts for under 400 buks. Its the rest of the gizmos , fitting , valves. Figuring out. You know , all the stuff that comes in the kit. The hydro boost unit isnt hard to bolt to the fire wall, just add two more holes right ? But its 4"" past the brake pedal at the rod end. Master cylinders have two bolts , shouldnt be hard. Oh , lets make the tube connections on the other side of the master. Reconfigure them , no big deal, Right ? Throw in a lever type parkin brake, thats two more brake lines through the fire wall. The need for an adjustable proportioning valve is advised , ordered one of those , waiting. To install a ram over the top of your axle isnt hard , ya weld in a couple brackets and bolt her in ! Hook it to the tie rod they say, look at it , look some more. Think to ones self. Welding on two more tabs to hook the ram to isnt hard , but what if ? Just , what if you need to adjust the tie rod ???? Oh , you mean those shiny tabs are not any longer in the right place . Huuumgh ! Better order the clamp on mount like in the kit ! Waiting . Its coming along but even thought I wont get anywhere near the kit price , Theres a lot behind curtain number 2 ! Good thing its gonna snow Fri. I need the money ! FjR68
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Sounds like a good time for sure haha
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Update :) Shes all hosed up . Left to do is bleed system , finish modifying the brake lines , Jump in and fire that Motha up ! Getting wood , I hope. FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Is she going to make an appearance at Jeep 101?
Gotta check out all the new goodies she's now sport'n. :)
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Im hoping it will be done and shook down. So in my hand , the speedo with a drill worked great. Needle moved when you juiced the drill and you could watch the odometer add mileage. Yesterday , all jacked up and no where to go I fired her up. Slid her into gear and watch the speedo do nothing ! Well , it actually did wiggle a bit. Increase speed did nothing , a little wiggle was more prominent . When I had her into 4th on them jack stands I happened to notice the odometer running , BACKWARD ! ??????????????????? Removing mileage. Didnt think that was possible. I removed the drivin gear and it looked good so I put it back in . Now that joker works just fine ! Yea, now Ill know when Im doing 1.8 MPH ! :) FjR68
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

UPdate ! The hydroboost and steering is complete. The brakes were another issue , well I should say ---lack of brake. I dissembled every component one at at time and found the remaned master was bad. The replacement bench bled in 4 min ! I was happy again. Shortly , very shortly and at the end of my first quart of brake fluid I started to get frustrated . Removed the master , used it as a core to buy a new one ! I now have brakes and will get Her a steering shaft and tires to road test her. What I did notice , with engine running , (still on Jack stands) In gear (any) you apply some hand pressure to the brake peddle , the engine stalls ! Is that normal ? Have Ive been missing something ? Im thinking Im gonna have to learn how to drive Her all over again. Space age stuff , Power Brakes --- What a concept ! FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Better keep your 5 point tight otherwise you may be whacking your noggin on the helm now. ;)
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

All is well ! She lives to bend another day ! Other than the lever lock , everything works . All electrical issues are gone , The one PS leak is repaired , The brakes should have been done years ago . WoW ! I feel as if a ball rolled into the road , I could stop ! Never having power brakes in this old girl ,when I put the disk on the front I didnt gain any stopping power . What I got was less loss of brake when they got wet. The rear disk was to help in replacing the drum brakes , some times twice a season. The mud just ate them up. Again , I didnt gain as they were still manual. With all the changes and bigger meats , stopping her wasnt a problem . It was how long it took her to stop. My old leg was begging for help so I went this route and It really isnt touchy but its weird to have to let off the brake to roll up to the line. Like McDonalds ----- Im lovin it ! FjR68