General Maintenance

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

General Maintenance

Unread post by Frank »

Has anyone ever changed ball joints just because they are ten yrs. old ? I have the front end torn down for the power steering stuff and brakes. Im considering doing the ball joints as they are ten yrs. old. Im a freak about maintenance and there is not a time Ive wheeled her without a full grease job afterward . Even on our two day events.They appear to be fine , and both upper and lower are grease-able. Would anyone know where I can get a stud kit instead of bolts for the lock in hubs. They always come loose. Im told the stud kit would eliminate this issue. Thanks FjR68
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: General Maintenance

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I've never changed ball joints. Is there a way to measure to see if they've worn at all? If they are anything like u-joints in that from what i've read, if you keep them greased, they will last a lifetime, then you may not need to change them. On the other hand, if you question the wear on them, since you have them accessible, and you have the ability, and you have the coin for the new ones, sure, go for it.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

I've never done them until 1 or more started to get some play in them.
IMO if your's don't have any play in them and you've been religious about greasing then I'd say keep running them.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

There is no play that I can perceive . Every time we wheel I lube everything. Cant tell ya how many guys borrowed the grease gun in Canada ! Never lost a ball or U-joint . Ive always said , grease is cheap. I have a complete set and carry one upper and lower as spares. Got the box drilled and tapped ! Its gonna snow sat. so I will be able to purchase the ram and hoses next week. Then on to some electrical switches that have stopped working and new freekin gas gauge ! I have to pull the dash to work back there so Im going to put in a new speedo head also. That will be different ! Dan :) If you jack your tire 1" off the ground and use a prybar or something. Put it under the tire and lift up. You will see the tire move if you have a ball joint thats bad. It will be able to move in and out at the top of the tire or just straight up and down. Have some one else do the moving and watch the ball joints. With the Jeep on the ground have someone move the steering wheel back and forth , not much and while your under there you look at each tie rod end and you can see them move or if they have play. FjR68