Frame Repair Advice

JohnnyJeeper
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2001
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Frame Repair Advice

Unread post by JohnnyJeeper »

Hey guys!
Looking for some advice on fixing a little frame issue. I have a 2001 Jeep TJ that almost has no rust anywhere BUT the drivers side where the transmission skid plate is mounted has rusted out 2 bolts so far. This kills me because it only has 50K miles. I had a 99 that had 140K+ that finally had this issue but I sold it with the issue and never fixed. I know I don't want to just weld it back on because that will limit future access and it will not stop the real issue. My idea is to get a repair piece that will run from the trail arm mount to trail mount. They make a piece where you cut out 2/3 of the frame and you weld this piece in. Anyone done this and how successful have you been. Any help would be greatly appreciate it!

Let me know if pics would help at all and I can try and figure out how to upload, the one I tried was too big I guess?!?!

Last edited by JohnnyJeeper on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SmittyBuilt SRC Front Bumper
Dick Cepek Rims
Quadratec LED
Flowmaster Exhaust
AEM Cold Air Intake
Rugged Ridge 8.5
KC Windshield Floods
Smittybuilt SideSteps
8" Sub ~ External Tweeters, 5.25 Front Upgrade & 6.5 Upgrade
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998

Re: Frame Repair Advice

Unread post by ASauer17 »

To upload you need an external site like photobucket and copy & paste the img code in the post!!
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
JohnnyJeeper
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2001

Unread post by JohnnyJeeper »

Thanks for the help!
SmittyBuilt SRC Front Bumper
Dick Cepek Rims
Quadratec LED
Flowmaster Exhaust
AEM Cold Air Intake
Rugged Ridge 8.5
KC Windshield Floods
Smittybuilt SideSteps
8" Sub ~ External Tweeters, 5.25 Front Upgrade & 6.5 Upgrade
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

The replacement pieces are the best way to repair this. ALL TJs have a frame issue , not just yours. Its a straight forward repair and there are several Co. out there so dont buy the cheapest one. We have several members that have had to do this kind of repair. Some do it themself and some had a shop do it for them. We have members that can do this repair for you also. Im in Enfield,Ct. and dont know if its to far or if this is your daily. Might as well do both sides also. FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

If the rest of the frame rail is good, I would just fab a new captured nut piece and weld it in. If there is other deterioration, then the rail should be replaced. My friend Scott Cairnes of Central Mass Off Road (look up Central Mass Off Road on Facebook) has completed MANY repairs of this nature and his work is awesome.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005