Beadlock balancing `

AaronPerry
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2014
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Beadlock balancing `

Unread post by AaronPerry »

Quick question. Having trouble getting my ATX Slab beadlock wheels balanced with 35" Mickey MTZ tires. Anyone know of a place around the south sore that can maybe help me out? They aren't horrible but at 62+ I start to get a shake and it's kind of constant between 60-70 which sucks for highway.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!!
-A
-Aaron
14 Rubicon
4.56, 37" STT Pro on 17" Slabs, Evo Double D Pro, Evo front/rear bumper, aFe Hi-Tuck, RCV Front shafts, G2 gold rear shafts, EVO/Rockhard skids, Crawler Concepts corners/fenders, Rockhard sliders, Full Hydro Steering
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Beadlock balancing `

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Try O'Brien's Car Care in Holbrook. He's mounted a couple of tires for me, and balanced them out just fine. Plain steel rims though, not beadlocks.

Elias 4x4 in Townsend will get them dialed in for you, but that's kind of a hike.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
AaronPerry

Thanks! I'll check them out!
-Aaron
14 Rubicon
4.56, 37" STT Pro on 17" Slabs, Evo Double D Pro, Evo front/rear bumper, aFe Hi-Tuck, RCV Front shafts, G2 gold rear shafts, EVO/Rockhard skids, Crawler Concepts corners/fenders, Rockhard sliders, Full Hydro Steering
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Its way different with beadlocks than a plain wheel. You really need to be sure the outside bead is centered as you tighten the bolts. Now that the inside is on the bead it would help to loosen the bolts and start over. They also have the packets of beads you put inside the tires to help balance them. I have home made 32 bolt with 35 DC Crushers and no balance weights at all and they are fine on the high way. Look at your pinch bolt side to see if its even or get some balance beads for the inside. FjR68
AaronPerry

Frank wrote:Its way different with beadlocks than a plain wheel. You really need to be sure the outside bead is centered as you tighten the bolts. Now that the inside is on the bead it would help to loosen the bolts and start over. They also have the packets of beads you put inside the tires to help balance them. I have home made 32 bolt with 35 DC Crushers and no balance weights at all and they are fine on the high way. Look at your pinch bolt side to see if its even or get some balance beads for the inside. FjR68
Thanks for the tip! I found a couple places and will see what they do. I know one dude put a bag of something in the tires but I'm not sure if he tried to balance them first or after that. Sucks because on the forums ATX slabs have no issues but mine just don't seem to want to balance
-Aaron
14 Rubicon
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

It might be a Wheel (rim) but I doubt it . I would try to center the outside bead first , before having the tires balanced again. They only have one side of the rim to work with unless they use stick on weights. Ive been told its a good idea to surround the weights with silicone to help them stay on with all the mud and rocks we deal with. Many guys have used the internal bag-O BBs thing with good results. They have several weights to choose from depending on the tire size and stuff. Many forums have this topic and what they had success with. FjR68
AaronPerry

Think we figured out the issue! My guy used counteract balancing beads and was told to toss in something like 8oz in each wheel. Well we called counteract to say that the Jeep is still off balance. He said that he isn't sure what's going on with Mickey Thompson MTZ tires (the first time my mechanic didn't tell them what tire, just the size) but that MTZs in the last 8 months have had out of spec issues. So what he suggests to do (and is sending free bags for us to re-do the balance). Is to unmount the tires, clean out the beads, remount the tire, whatever weight it says the tire is off, shoot the new beads in through the valve stem. He said that LOTS of MTZs, some NITTO and ALL TOYO have been having that same exact issue and that fixes it 100%. What's prob happening is one tire prob needs like 2oz, one 7oz and so on. But that having 8oz in each tire being out of spec is messing it up.

Should have it re-done in the next few weeks and will report back
-Aaron
14 Rubicon
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Thats a different approach , I would guess they know what they are doing. Hard to believe MT which is now owned by DC is having a (round) issue. Hope this fixes the issue. FjR68
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Also unusual for TOYOs - they are normally very close. When Chris at Elias di my 35" Toyos, the most he used on any one tire was 2 oz total. That's really disappointing if correct.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Spudcannons
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Spudcannons »

Doctor wheels on the cape balance my ATX slabs and I've had no issues up to the fastest I've gone at 85.
JKU Commando- I've tinkered with her a tiny bit.
AaronPerry

Ended up getting new wheels. Sucks because I really liked those ATX Slabs. I went with some faux beadlock wheels for now. It was just too off balance and I couldn't take it anymore. Next set of tries I get I may drop them off at Dr. Wheels, they pretty much build my TJ back in the day. We pretty much did everything we could for them and nothing worked at all.
-Aaron
14 Rubicon
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

So are you saying the same tires balanced out on new rims ? Are the new rims true bead locks or just trim rings. Did you contact ATX ? The tire place can spin just the rim and find out which one and or how far out they are. Maybe get replacement rims ? FjR68
AaronPerry

Frank wrote:So are you saying the same tires balanced out on new rims ? Are the new rims true bead locks or just trim rings. Did you contact ATX ? The tire place can spin just the rim and find out which one and or how far out they are. Maybe get replacement rims ? FjR68
Yes same tires. They were all out of whack. Yeah I contacted ATX, Mickey Thompson and Counteract Balancing Beads. How they were off they couldn't use weights on the ATX slabs so we went with beads. It didn't work. The new wheels could take weights so they balanced fine. The new ones is just a brushed lip with some bolts in it, not a removable ring or anything.

I will revisit it again in the future or maybe just get a set of "weekend warrior" tires for it that I will slap on and off for trail runs. But I couldn't see spending any more time on it. I drive back and forth from Duxbury to Boston a lot and it's my DD and wasn't worth the frustration in my opinion. Also the Slabs have a few other issues that I was not happy about. The bolts rusted in about 10 minutes, they hold water between the rim and the lip (a LOT of water actually) that can and has frozen (which would knock the jeep even more off balance).

I may just see if I can sell them and if I ever do beadlocks again I may look in to B.A.D. wheels. Those were my first choice but the ATX were a little less expensive. Really wish I went with the B.A.D. now haha
-Aaron
14 Rubicon
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Check out Ballistic Fabrication . Just buy the bead lock ring kit and weld them to plain steel wheels and keep you shiny ones for the street. Mine cost 35 buks a wheel x 5 . 32 bolt / 35s and no weight on any of them. FjR68
AaronPerry

Frank wrote:Check out Ballistic Fabrication . Just buy the bead lock ring kit and weld them to plain steel wheels and keep you shiny ones for the street. Mine cost 35 buks a wheel x 5 . 32 bolt / 35s and no weight on any of them. FjR68
Thanks for the tip!
-Aaron
14 Rubicon