Adjustable Control Arm issue

DDewar53
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Adjustable Control Arm issue

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Looks like my "free" lower ACAs are going to cost me some $ after all. (I won' them in the Evelyn fund raiser auction, bid $40). Anyway, one of the arms is stripped out. If I tighten the locknut, it just keeps turning and lengthening the CA. I'm thinking of welding it - thoughts? Opinions? Head slaps?

Fire away
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Adjustable Control Arm issue

Unread post by Frank »

Sounds to me like you have two options. If you adjust it and weld the nut to the arm, it can never be adjusted. The end of the tube where the end screws into should be cut off and a new insert welded in so it can remain adjustable. Clayton has all kinds of inserts. for square and round tubing. I would be willin to repair it for you Don. Just dont want to see you get short changed by welding the nut. I know you would be able to turn the bushing end but the lock nut puts torque between the rod and the tube. Youd loose that if you weld it. See if Im on the right track here . FjR68
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

If they were brand new, could you talk to the manufacturer and maybe get it remedied through them?
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by schwalby »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:If they were brand new, could you talk to the manufacturer and maybe get it remedied through them?
Agreed. Please send me pictures if they came out of the box this way. I will contact them and try to get you a new one. They will be sending me product for the Rally soon any ways.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Josh - Not brand new, they've been installed for almost a year now. I suspect the problem was caused by the lock nut not being checked / re-torqued after installation (in other words, my fault).
Frank - that was my plan - adjust it, then weld the threaded heim joint to the tube. There really doesn't seem to be any way to repair it short of cutting the threaded part of the tube, then welding a threaded outsert over it. In the end, I just decided to buy a new set. They're on the way, should be here by Monday. I'll get them installed and be as good as new next week.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Farmer ! FjR68