You can talk about anything here
BUK
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Smart Chip?

Unread post by BUK »

Hey guys,
I met a gentleman over the weekend that was telling me something about a smart chip device for Jeeps that you plug into your jeep and it gives you better gas mileage and possibly some more HP? Before I go researching, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with one of these things? Not sure if different companies manufacture similar products? The guy seemed to think it was about $150.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Smart Chip?

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

there are a number of programmers on the market. Can do different tunes adjust the computer for different gear sets, tire size etc. and some other features. AEV has a bare bone version for 150 or so and then you can go north of $400 for a superchips version with easier programming and more optons. One gizmo I have not bought for my Jeep so that is what I know...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

I bought a Superchips specifically to adjust for my new larger tires and to change the TPMS settings. While I was doing that I figured I'd try one that could do the tuning for HP and economy. Long story short, the Superchips was a complete waste of money. Regarding the tuning options, there were really only two options - economy and performance. The economy option robbed the Jeep of all tourque. When I lifted my foot off the gas the Jeep would lunge forward. Basically it drove terribly. For giggles I tried the performance setting - opposite problem - the throttle would cause the Jeep to lunge forward with even the slightest touch. Overall there didn't seem to be much difference that would make me think the driveability issues were worth it. To make matters worse, despite the box and website clearly indicating it could adjust the TPMS levels, it actually could only turn it on or off. After complaining I was able to return it. I ended up purchasing an AEV that could adjust TPMS and adjust for tire size changes and that was it. In a nutshell, I don't recommend the Superchips.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I've been under the understanding (possibly incorrect) that you can't tune naturally aspirated engines to get much more power or economy. Turbo or supercharged engines are different though.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:I've been under the understanding (possibly incorrect) that you can't tune naturally aspirated engines to get much more power or economy. Turbo or supercharged engines are different though.
I think in theory you can tune the engine with a setting on a programmer but the superchips from what I have read are a lot of flash and no bang. ;) I know Mike White likes the AEV for basic stuff and didnt recommend the superchips - most likey for the reasons Marky states. I think there is another major player out there _ bully dog or something that lets you monitor a lot of things in real time and lets you do a custom tune but I havent heard a lot about the good bad etc. for that one either.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
BUK
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by BUK »

Hey, thanks guys!! I've got the full Banks intake and exhaust so I can't imagine anything else would help for mpg and HP.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Tuners work up to a point. All most of them do is widen the window in which the ECU can operate. When they say hp increase it usually means wide open. If you want to change the output levels you have to put in a cam and lifters that is ground for performance . Most of the time there actually is a loss of torque on the low end when you do an intake and exhaust simply be cause the cam selection from the factory was designed to meet emissions with back pressure. For real world horse power and torque gains , Id look at a cam install. 6=8 is the guy I believe has his stuff together with an inline 6 and Hesco with a V-6 . The hard part to a cam swap is---- keeping your foot out of it ! 270 HP/ 360 lbs.ft at 3300 RPM Projected numbers from the engine I just built. Beat that V-8s FjR68