axle tube seals, are they useful?

dvm
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

axle tube seals, are they useful?

Unread post by dvm »

I'm upgrading my front axle shafts and U joints to chromoly shafts & U joints and I bought a set of Superior Axle Tube seals just cause they were on sale at 4x4groupbuy.com , and my plastic stock "guards" are gone anyway. Then I wondered if a seal is any more useful than just the plastic stock guard that basically keeps stones out of the axle shaft. Is it just another bearing to wear out?

Anyone have advice on the usefulness of axle tube seals?
The more I learn, the less I know
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: axle tube seals, are they useful?

Unread post by johnsxj »

There's no bearing, just two large seals that get packed with grease in between.
I've been running a set for several years and think that they do help keep crud out of the tubes better than the little plastic shields the factory use.
After you've pulled the shafts but before installing the seals, rake out any crud that may be in the tubes. A length of all thread, two nuts and a fender washer work good for this.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

On a Cj There is no room for the outside seals. I have to hope that the inner seal will keep the water and junk out of the center section. I would put those in , in a heartbeat if I were you. FjR68
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Same good news/bad news theories on those as on shock boots -
The good - they help keep bad stuff out
The bad - they help keep bad stuff in
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I have them and didn't think they lasted particularly well... The outer seal ripped out of one of mine right away...

JW
jquader
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by jquader »

I'll try anything that'll keep Lou from yelling at me for getting mud in them...
BSJ Secretary 2019, 2013, 2012 - DOT 2015 - DOE 2017, 2016

I wonder what's on the other side.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

jquader wrote:I'll try anything that'll keep Lou from yelling at me for getting mud in them...
:lol:
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Captian Carnage
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

They help to keep water out they will help to prolong your bearing life Keeping all the mud + dirt out I clean out My front axle tube a few times a year when I had stock shafts Most times after I broke a shaft Now with alloys and not being a DD idont check the tubes for mud + dirt My jeep sits 5 days a week 2000 miles since August of 09
dvm
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by dvm »

Tube Seals installed, along with alloy shafts and ORO U-turn steering system. There was a little grinding involved to get the tube seals in the axle shaft (a bit rusted). The shaft insides were cleaned out really well before installation. The ORO steering system is like a night & day steering improvement over stock steering with a 4.5" lift. I can turn my wheels all the way again without the axle knuckles banging.
The more I learn, the less I know