TJ Banging Noise (HELP!)

jparker
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

TJ Banging Noise (HELP!)

Unread post by jparker »

Hey guys, I am normally pretty good about diagnosing problems with my jeep but this one has me all confused. I have had the issue for a long time now but since i put in my 3" teraflex lift and 1" TC drop the problem has gotten much worse (louder). When i go over a large bump in the road there is a loud banging noise coming from under the jeep like something(feels like the transfer case) is smashing into the tub. I have no idea what it could be and am not even sure where to start. Any advice helps. Thanks!
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: TJ Banging Noise (HELP!)

Unread post by Frank »

Try to see if the sticks move when this happens. Did you put in a new T-case mount when you dropped it ? You could put a jack under it and try to lift it to see if the mount is broken. Trying to find a noise on the web is hard but simple things can be done to find it. Is it under power / off power , wheels straight or turned. A broken or bad shock mount ? The exhaust sometimes hits after a lift is installed. Even a control arm bushing or sway bar bushing or link . Try some of these and let us know . FjR68
saf98tj
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by saf98tj »

Have you checked the transfer case linkage? The bushing wears out and the linkage rattles around. Pull up on the transfer case level while you drive around and see if the banging goes away or lessen. This is very common and there is a kit you can by to replace the worn parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mark2215
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by mark2215 »

check your exhaust clearance too, sometimes a tc drop will move the exhaust just enough to let it bang into things when you go over bumps.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Sooooo , Mr. Parker :) Where are we with the out come ? FjR68