Ain't whistling Dixie

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Ain't whistling Dixie

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Trying to see the glass as being glass half full. Take care of maintenance things before the season really gets into full swing, right? :eusa-think: This is a good thing, right?

Heard a brand new noise. Not sure it happens EVERY time I hit 30 MPH, but when it does happen, that's the trigger point. It's a whistling / screeching noise, sort of like when you have a rock stuck in your caliper. Sort of. But hitting the brakes, foot off the accelerator, depressing the clutch and/or downshifting has no effect. It stops at around 15 - 18 MPH and doesn't seem to be dependant on the engine RPMs. As I slow down, the frequency of the noise changes so it def seems to be wheel RPM related. Far as I can tell, it's coming from the right front passenger wheel. The only thing I can think of is unit bearing

Anyone ever hear of anything like this? Or any other ideas? FWIW, I checked my axle u-joints yesterday and they had no play. Feel pretty good about it being the unit bearing but this is MY Heep and she doesn't always care about or play by the same rules as everyone else. Thanks guys
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
nostaw

Re: Ain't whistling Dixie

Unread post by nostaw »

Dust shield rubbing the rotor for some reason?
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

I'll check that, tx Jon. Hopefully I get it sorted out before Saturday's run
mark2215
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by mark2215 »

If the unit bearing is bad usually you can jack up that side, wiggle the tire, and feel it wobble.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Turn up the radio ? FjR68
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

Frank wrote:Turn up the radio ? FjR68
THAT's the problem - I turned it down and then my senses are assaulted with all these bangs, whistles and more bangs. Lots of bangs. After I did my (stupid) track bar bolt, I attacked this. There was zero play, absolutely no discernible slop in the wheel bearing. Took it off the axle anyway and the splines still had nice red grease on them. There was no sign of wear. Lots of surface rust, but no wear

Bolted on a brand new unit bearing and the noise is gone :dance: Keeping the squeaky wheel for a trail spare, I can tolerate some whistling if it keeps me off the back of a flatbed
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Dude :) You are becoming a full fledged TJ guru ! Youda man ! FjR68