2nd gear sounds like a small big deal

wesley4x4
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: 2nd gear sounds like a small big deal

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

soo i called VIP/NAPA/and autozone... and no one has a GL-4 T-case oil... :( am i going to have to order it off the internet or buy it from the stealership???
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

The recommendation from dealers now is to use 10W30 engine oil. Yes... engine oil.
I personally verified this with Krawler (Dan) on NEOW. He's a mechanic at a Jeep dealership.

Or... you may want to look into the Redline MT-90 oil.
I have a couple of quarts I'll donate to the cause if you want to buy another two from someplace.
Just "paying it forward" as they were given to me by Andy L. 8-)

I know Lou has some on the shelf at his shop for about $15 ea. I could swing by his shop and get the additional two for you. Those you'll have to pay for :lol:

Another tranny swap option is to get a Dodge Dakota bellhousing ~1996-1998 and a AX-15 tranny to use with your 4 popper. A popular swap & upgrade to do to get a stronger tranny.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
wesley4x4
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

Kurt wrote:The recommendation from dealers now is to use 10W30 engine oil. Yes... engine oil.
I personally verified this with Krawler (Dan) on NEOW. He's a mechanic at a Jeep dealership.

Or... you may want to look into the Redline MT-90 oil.
I have a couple of quarts I'll donate to the cause if you want to buy another two from someplace.
Just "paying it forward" as they were given to me by Andy L. 8-)

I know Lou has some on the shelf at his shop for about $15 ea. I could swing by his shop and get the additional two for you. Those you'll have to pay for :lol:

Another tranny swap option is to get a Dodge Dakota bellhousing ~1996-1998 and a AX-15 tranny to use with your 4 popper. A popular swap & upgrade to do to get a stronger tranny.
Thanks kurt ill just have to round up some money and then set a UDOIT date... (hint.. might buddy up with carl's date) :P
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Yep, 10W30 engine oil is another option. Engine oil weight and gear oil weight are scaled differently. A 10W40 would be very close in operating viscosity to a 75W90 gear oil.

My tranny seemed very sensitive to GL5 gear oil, so I use Coastal 80W90 gear oil from Advance Auto. It is GL3,GL4 & GL5 rated and doesn't smell like sulfer like typical GL5 rated oil. It may work well in your application too.

If you don't want to use those listed above, Consumer Auto Parts and NAPA typically carries Royal Puple and Pennzoil Synchromesh.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005