Wheel Bearing Install Trouble

del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Wheel Bearing Install Trouble

Unread post by del_TJ »

Round hole and round shaft, but it don’t fit! This is as far as a 12-ton press could get the bearings. Needs another half-inch and the retainer didn’t even get far enough to grab. Part numbers seem right (Superior axle shafts EV45, Timken bearings 053893730035), bearings are oriented correctly, both shaft bearing sides stopped at the same place, and the bearing boxes appeared new and unopened. We shot the shaft with WD-40 first.

Any ideas? Bigger press, as in 12 tons isn’t enough? Should we have greased the inner surface of the bearings first? Are there special bearings for these shafts? BTW - doing this to upgrade from rear drums to disc brakes. Shoud help when Rausch is wet, sloppy and slippery :music-rockout:
IMG_0672.jpg
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Wheel Bearing Install Trouble

Unread post by DDewar53 »

heat the bearings? I've had to do that before
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

What was the bearing ID Vs. the shaft OD ? After market shaft or stock. I only use a piece of tubing longer the the axle and a hammer to drive them on. A 12 ton press should do the job. I would only heat the bearing race from the inside not the rollers or cage. That means it would have to be off. Did you press the other ones off or cut them off ? There has to be a reason . FjR68
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by del_TJ »

I notched the old bearings and retainers with a cutting wheel then chiseled them off. Heating the new bearings in an oven is a good idea in hindsight, although they come packed full of grease.

In the end, I brought it to Lou who said the journals on those Superior shafts are about 6/1000 too thick in their experience. Superior didn’t think so but they’re out of business now. They pressed the bearings using all 25 tons of force that their press had to offer. Kind of scary to watch that but they’re seated now. It’s part of the fun of dealing with aftermarket parts :angry-cussingblack: