Wallowed out.

del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Wallowed out.

Unread post by del_TJ »

Well, I was excited to be almost done with my summer project - outboard shocks, coil correction, antirock, yada yada - when I had one of those SOB moments! The nut on a lower rear control arm bolt almost backed off unnoticed and wallowed out the bolt holes. Both sides are wallowed out but one side feels worse than the other with the bolt in. Should I weld washers on both sides? And, would switching to fine thread bolts help keep those suckers tightened down?
IMG_0525.jpg
IMG_0526.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Wallowed out.

Unread post by Carl McFly »

I'd weld washers on there. Never thought about a fine thread but I'm guessing someone knows more about that than me. And Tony the build looks great! :clap:
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Wallowed out.

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Oh yeah, seen that before... I recommend some thick washers (check out McMaster) and lots of red loctite! I always brake clean the threads of the bolt first (because you put lots of anti-seize on the bolt when you install it so it doesn't rust to the sleeve... right Tony?)
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Fine thread gives you more threads per inch and supposedly more bite. Either way you go I would use a lock washer and a lock nut ! It has nylon insert to keep it from backing off . FjR68
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

I would stick with the OEM bolts unless a lift kit or control arms came with fine thread bolts. The bolts need to be grade 8 or better. Anti-seize is great for where the bolt is in the bushing, but red loctite should be used on the nut and threads it contacts. The flange on the nut should provide the clamping bite. I'd plate the mount instead of just using a washer, but I have used washers in a pinch and found them to be durable enough.