Misfire and code P-0352

Rabbit
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Misfire and code P-0352

Unread post by Rabbit »

On my way to work this morning in my 03 TJ 4.0 my CEL came on and I noticed a misfire. I checked the code when I got to work and it came up P-0352. I found this: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0352

I intend to follow those troubleshooting steps unless someone has other suggestions, but which coil is #2? Would that be second from the front?

Thanks!
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Misfire and code P-0352

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

The 2nd coild/plug is usually right between the first and third.
If it is any easier, start at 6 and work your way towards 1.

[/snarkism]
Yes, 2nd from front.
Rabbit

Unread post by Rabbit »

Whew, had me worried there at first. If I had to start at 6 that takes two hands which increases the difficulty...

So I got it home, now in limp mode. Checked codes and added codes P0300, P0302, and P0305. I gather that one coil runs both cylinders. Would you say, snarkily or otherwise, that it is likely that coil needs replacing or is there something else I should try? Anything else I should replace while I've got it cracked open? It hasn't had an overhaul in at least 30,000 miles, more than a few of which were crawling along in low gear.
Rabbit

Unread post by Rabbit »

Oh, any parts recommended to buy or avoid?
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

Honestly, at that point I would turn it over to the tech I work with and ask him to diagnose it further with his fancy-schmancy diagnostic tools and Jeep dealer experience to eliminate me guessing at what parts to buy. I've seen misfires caused by both fuel and ignition parts failures.

As far as parts selection goes, I do see the following all the time...
Mopar parts work wonders. Other parts that are from parts stores seem to have a higher failure and defect rate, especially if they require cutting connectors or finishing the connection, like half price O2 sensors.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

If it ends up being a coilpack, I've got an extra one behind my couch. I stupidly replaced mine thinking it would solve a non-existent problem. OEM from the factory with ~75k miles on it.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Rabbit

Unread post by Rabbit »

Grrr, no good. Replaced the coil and the #2 and #5 spark plugs and the problem persists. So I guess it's time to turn it over to someone with a bit more mechanical experience.