Transmission oil cooler advice

Pat C
BSJ Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2019
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Transmission oil cooler advice

Unread post by Pat C »

I really should put a transmission oil cooler in my Jeep and was looking for some recommendations for reasonably priced units. Any particlular brand better than another. Any brand I should stay away from? Thanks.
Pat
nostaw

Re: Transmission oil cooler advice

Unread post by nostaw »

B&M makes pretty good stuff, but I don't know if they make a JK specific kit... Any B&M cooler that fits within the grill could work though.

Check with the dealer -- there may be a MOPAR tranny cooler available for the JK, though it isn't necessarily better than an aftermarket.

I'd also check with Dom or Lou and see what they suggest... Maybe ask where you plan to get the work done?

JW
Pat C
BSJ Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2019
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by Pat C »

I go to a local shop that I really like. They are not Jeep specific, but the owner is a former airplane mechanic. He is knowledgeable and his guys are good.
The first several years I had the XJ, I went to Lou frequently, but it just got too hard to find someone willing to drive 2 hours around trip for leaving it overnight(s). I feel funny called Dom or Lou for advice and then not use their services.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Here you go Pat.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-13-0033

Check 'em out. Summit has a lot of options for coolers.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Pat C wrote:I feel funny called Dom or Lou for advice and then not use their services.
I know what you mean about asking for advice, but spending $ elsewhere...

However, even if you have the work done locally you can order your parts through Lou (or Dom) -- this way you can still ask their advice!

JW
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Pat : I would suggest that you look up the differences in types of oil coolers. You could get the least expensive on the market and do fine. It looks and operates just like you radiator. The latest and strongest type is the hard plate coolers. A little more but very efficient and very strong. Its a smart thing that you are doing as the number one killer of autos is heat . Good hunting. FjR68
DDewar53
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

ZAEDOCK wrote:Here you go Pat.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-13-0033

Check 'em out. Summit has a lot of options for coolers.
I really like that one, with the braided steel lines and all. I'll have to get one of those for Donna's JK
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein